Hard Root Beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys. I started my brew around noon on Sunday. Within a few hours the Nottingham Yeast was doing its thing and it was bubbling like crazy. Around 5 pm today (Monday) I noticed it had slowed significantly, to about one bubble every 30 seconds. Does this sound like stalled fermentations anyone? Any thoughts on how to kick it up if necessary?

I've run into similar situations, but you shouldn't be too worried. Usually that means it's eaten most of the yeast. However, you can help to stimulate the east i've run into similar situations, but you shouldn't be too worried. Usually that means it's eaten most of the sugar. However, if you would rather be safe than sorry you can help to stimulate the yeast. I cannot remember if when stirring it used to wrap the bottom or not. But I do remember you need to stir gently to not add any oxygen to the brew.

I also believe you are never to add sugar after the fermentation has started to try and restimulate the yeast.

Thanks. I checked my numbers and I'm at 5.25 abv and 70% attenuation. I think it is because I used an entire pack of yeast on a 1 gallon test.

Hi guys. Here's a little update on my brew. I bottled it on the sixth after 48 hours of fermentation. It was at 5.25abv and 70%atten. It has been in the bottles for two days and is probably about halfway there in terms of carbonation. I can tell from the clear bottles that the liquid has separated. So I guess it doesn't have anything to do with a high ABV.

Tried a variation on this recipe and it didn't work out at all.

I omitted the lactose because my wife is allergic to dairy, and cut down the honey some because I noticed that in the final recipe.

Problems:

• Never carbonated - even after 3 weeks in bottle, no CO2, at all. Strange, since Notty usally works great for me.
  • Settling - root beer extract settles with yeast and possibly other flavors. Kind of defeats the purpose of it being a hard root beer.
  • Color/consistency - sort of related to the above. Bringing the root beer extract back into suspension means shaking up each bottle. That brings the yeast remnants back up, too. The final poured product looks like muddy swamp water in the glass, and doesn't taste much better.

I started the recipe from page 2 (5 gallon) on sunday. I had a couple issues.

I have never used dry yeast but i did re hydrate it and pitch. for some reason ferminatation didnt start at all. I checked it monday morning, nothing. monday afternoon, nothing. so i went and got an additional yeast pack and pitched again. seems to have kicked things off. Fermentation is underway but not as explosive as some of the other posts.

my OG was 1.064. does that sound about right here?

i did 5 lbs light DME, 1 lb dark brown sugar, 1 lb lactose.

thoughts? I cant figure out why my first yeast pitch was a dud.

Did you check the temp before pitching the yeast? If it was too hot you may have killed it. Did you have a good seal on the fermenter? Poor seal could have allowed gas to leak out the side.
Did you take a gravity reading to indeed verify there was no fermentation? Lack of bubbles in the airlock aren't always an indication of no fermentation

I did a batch of this using double the brown sugar (1# for 2 gallons) and just bottled this. I didn't notice that the root beer concentrate I bought (Watkins) is clear so I ended up with beer colored root beer. Tastes like root beer flavored rocket fuel, so it's all good!

I followed the recipe on the second page to a T. I did notice quite a bit of separation with the root beer extract settling to the bottom.

Me personally, I preferred it this way, had a great beer taste with a slight hint of the root beer.

20160302_161951.jpg

Well, the root beer mix doesn't seem to separate in pure water, so the alcohol must throw off the balance. I seems what we are missing is an effective emulsifier. I looked around and I see names like lecithin, sorbitan stearate and stearyl tartrate. Unfortunately I have no Idea how to use these, and random experiments can be hazardous. The only one I see a reference to alcohol is stearyl tartrate.(which is the one food websites don't like of course). Does anyone have experience or a reference on using food grade emulsifiers?

I also hope this thread hasn't gone too stale...

Well, the root beer mix doesn't seem to separate in pure water, so the alcohol must throw off the balance.

Although not positive, I thought folks were blaming the presence of particulate matter from the DME and fermentation process itself as being the "nuclei" of the particulate formation. Pure water wouldn't have those, either.

I have another gallon going right now. Actually, the primary is pretty much finished but I'm going to give it a week or two to really clean up as much as it can before bottling. This may be one of the very few times when bottling is superior to kegging: Let 'em carb up, pasteurize, and separation be damned. When it's time to have one, one gentle "back and forth" inversion should be enough to remix the separation. We may not even need that, the act of pouring into a glass may be enough to get it all mixed back in. If we do tip before opening, I'm sure it'll also kick up most of the sediment from the bottom of the bottle, BUT if we're careful about not pulling any trub from the primary and really only have the sediment from the carbonation, any off-taste will be more than covered up by the sugar and extract added at bottling.

Has anyone tried adding The root beer extract while in primary fermentation? I'm thinking this could solve some of the issue, due to the fact that the last batch I had all settled to the bottom. So instead of inverting it and mixing in the sediment back into the root beer, I decided to try what it tasted like pre inversion. It tasted like root beer to me! So maybe putting the extract in primary and letting the fermentation process do its thing might result in a beer colored Root beer with the taste we are looking for.

I was considering filtering to get rid of the solids, if I lose a bit of the delicate flavors it won't matter once the concentrate is dumped in. but I wouldn't mind something to help keep it in suspension. I am going to wander down the beverage isle at the supermarket and start reading ingrediants, unfortunately most of what I am looking for is disguised under "natural and artificial flavors". It would be nice to be able to get everyones results with data like extract brand, carb method, ingrediants, etc. and see what works. Did anyone actually get a non separating batch twice?

Not really sure about the particulate. I was thinking about it and a lot of these concentrates and extracts are commonly used for bottle conditioning. Last batch of plain Root Beer I did had a fair amount of yeast particulate settled out, but no separation. Now, I suppose there is a possibility that there is a negative or positive charge difference on the particles might play a part. But just the presence of particles is probably not the primary cause. I am still thinking the alcohol throws off whatever they are using as an emulsifier. It can stand trace amounts of alcohol from natural carbonation, but not 5% or so.... Of course this is assuming the flavors are based on water insoluble oils.

I just started 2 gal of this last night. Added 2 Oz of caramel 120L (steeped for 20 minutes at 155f before adding the sugar and boiling) both jugs were bubbling away when I went to work this morning. :)

Update: I used Lorann oils rootbeer extract and royal old fashion rootbeer extract and split my 2 gallons. The lorann oil one was very tasty. The royal one tasted not as good and experienced the particulate problem mentioned above and a ton of bottle sludge.

Wow, that was fast. I still intend to try testing myself, just have to get some things in. I won't be that fast though, I will be using sugar for sweetening, so I have to kill the yeast thoroughly. How much Lorann oil did you use, I thought that was for pretty small quantities.... I was going to start with Zatarains myself

Those who have been getting separation, have you been using lactose? I know I have and have gotten separation every time. I just finished talking to a brew expert where they make hard root beer and they said they throw their lactose in just before the end of the boil (5 min till end of boil). Too early may be causing the chemical makeup of the lactose to break down and cause the separation, like milk being added into coca-cola.

If you don't know what i'm talking about with milk in coca-cola, go here...
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKPoQYevoLs[/ame]

Those who have been getting separation, have you been using lactose? I know I have and have gotten separation every time. I just finished talking to a brew expert where they make hard root beer and they said they throw their lactose in just before the end of the boil (5 min till end of boil). Too early may be causing the chemical makeup of the lactose to break down and cause the separation, like milk being added into coca-cola.

If you don't know what i'm talking about with milk in coca-cola, go here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKPoQYevoLs

Interesting video. BUT, from the looks of it, it's just that the milk is curdling from the acidity of the soda. The guy who posted the video mentioned it's a reaction between the soda and milk proteins. Since we're just using the milk sugar, I dunno where the proteins would be coming from.

That said, that bottle of coke sure as he*l looks exactly like my last batch of root beer turned out. I guess I could try one more time. I'm pretty sure if I do, though, I'll substitute brown sugar for the DME.

WOAH!!! DMA HAS PHOSPHORIC ACID!!!

The reason why milk separates in coke is because of a reaction of the Phosphoric Acid contained in the coca cola to the milk. Phosphoric Acid molecules attach to the milk giving them more density and separate out while the remaining liquid that makes up the milk and cocoa cola now being lighter floats on top. The solid matter is basically milk that has been curdled by the addition of the more acidic soda. Both items are acidic but coca-cola more so. In general, coca-cola has a pH of anywhere from 2.5-4.5 because of the Phosphoric Acid content where milk (lactose) has a normal pH around 6.7 (almost neutral, milk that is in the base range is usually mastitic). DME (Dry Malt Extract) has a pH of 5-6.

I'm almost certain that's why it's separating. Now, i've talked to a brewing expert and they said if we add in the lactose at the very end of the boil (last 5 minutes or so), it prevents separation. I'm going to start a batch up this weekend and give it a try.

So this should probably be the procedure for a 1 gallon batch.
1) Bring half a gallon of water to a boil.
-- Remove from burner and stir in brown sugar and molassas (i add that in for a little something extra)
2) Return wort to boil.
3) Add hops (if you were going to add hops). Boil for 60 minutes (even if you don't add the hops).
4) Add DME and Lactose 15 min before the end of the boil
5) Cool the wort. When the 60-minute boil is finished, cool the wort to approximately 100° F as rapidly as possible. Use a wort chiller, or put the kettle in an ice bath in your sink.
6) Sanitize fermenting equipment and yeast pack. While the wort cools, sanitize the fermenting equipment – fermenter, lid or stopper, fermentation lock, funnel, etc – along with the yeast pack and a pair of scissors.
7) Fill primary fermenter with cooled wort. Leave any thick sludge in the bottom of the kettle.
8) Add more cold water as needed to bring the volume to 1 gallons.
9) Aerate the wort. Seal the fermenter and rock back and forth to splash for a few minutes, or use an aeration system and diffusion stone.
10) Add yeast once the temperature of the wort is 78°F or lower (not warm to the touch). Use the sanitized scissors to cut off a corner of the yeast pack, and carefully pour the yeast into the primary fermenter.
11) Seal the fermenter. Add approximately 1 tablespoon of water to the sanitized fermentation lock. Insert the lock into rubber stopper or lid, and seal the fermenter.
12) Move the fermenter to a warm, dark, quiet spot until fermentation begins.
13) Active fermentation begins. Within approximately 48 hours of Brewing Day, active fermentation will begin – there will be a cap of foam on the surface of the beer, and you may see bubbles come through the fermentation lock. The optimum fermentation temperature for this beer is 60–72º F – move the fermenter to a warmer or cooler spot as needed.
14) Active fermentation ends. Approximately 1-2 weeks after brewing day, active fermentation will end: the cap of foam falls back into the new beer, bubbling in the fermentation lock slows down or stops.
15) Rack the beer into a secondary fermenter, or simply add the Root Beer extract and sweetner pack to the fermenter. Let rest for an additional 1-2 weeks

SO, if we think that's the problem, why don't we just skip the DME, and make up for it with other sugars? What is the DME giving us, otherwise? Is it contributing to head retention, somehow?

ALSO, StarSan is largely comprised of phosphoric acid. SO, there's that as well if we're really thinking the phosphoric acid is the issue.

ALSO ALSO, it's not like this is the first time we've ever put lactose and DME in the same fermenter before. I made an extract milk stout with no issues.

And what is settling out? The cola picture looks like heavy particulate. Is it particulate on the bottom, or an oil on the top? Personally I am lactose intolerant, so I am avoiding it either way. I still intend to try Gum Arabic, but I have to clear the yeast completely to use sugar for sweetening. Slower process.

Might be something to the lactose theory. Just saw an instruction sheet for a knockoff kit that added the pound of lactose at 15 minute late addition, and used "artificial sweetener" after ferment. mind you this is for a 5 gallon batch, so the lactose is fairly light. It also used Gnome extract, don't know if this matters. Of course I am assuming it works, I could be wrong...

The reason why milk separates in coke is because of a reaction of the Phosphoric Acid contained in the coca cola to the milk. Phosphoric Acid molecules attach to the milk giving them more density and separate out while the remaining liquid that makes up the milk and cocoa cola now being lighter floats on top. The solid matter is basically milk that has been curdled by the addition of the more acidic soda. Both items are acidic but coca-cola more so. In general, coca-cola has a pH of anywhere from 2.5-4.5 because of the Phosphoric Acid content where milk (lactose) has a normal pH around 6.7 (almost neutral, milk that is in the base range is usually mastitic). DME (Dry Malt Extract) has a pH of 5-6.

I'm almost certain that's why it's separating. Now, i've talked to a brewing expert and they said if we add in the lactose at the very end of the boil (last 5 minutes or so), it prevents separation. I'm going to start a batch up this weekend and give it a try.

So this should probably be the procedure for a 1 gallon batch.
1) Bring half a gallon of water to a boil.
-- Remove from burner and stir in brown sugar and molassas (i add that in for a little something extra)
2) Return wort to boil.
3) Add hops (if you were going to add hops). Boil for 60 minutes (even if you don't add the hops).
4) Add DME and Lactose 15 min before the end of the boil
5) Cool the wort. When the 60-minute boil is finished, cool the wort to approximately 100° F as rapidly as possible. Use a wort chiller, or put the kettle in an ice bath in your sink.
6) Sanitize fermenting equipment and yeast pack. While the wort cools, sanitize the fermenting equipment – fermenter, lid or stopper, fermentation lock, funnel, etc – along with the yeast pack and a pair of scissors.
7) Fill primary fermenter with cooled wort. Leave any thick sludge in the bottom of the kettle.
8) Add more cold water as needed to bring the volume to 1 gallons.
9) Aerate the wort. Seal the fermenter and rock back and forth to splash for a few minutes, or use an aeration system and diffusion stone.
10) Add yeast once the temperature of the wort is 78°F or lower (not warm to the touch). Use the sanitized scissors to cut off a corner of the yeast pack, and carefully pour the yeast into the primary fermenter.
11) Seal the fermenter. Add approximately 1 tablespoon of water to the sanitized fermentation lock. Insert the lock into rubber stopper or lid, and seal the fermenter.
12) Move the fermenter to a warm, dark, quiet spot until fermentation begins.
13) Active fermentation begins. Within approximately 48 hours of Brewing Day, active fermentation will begin – there will be a cap of foam on the surface of the beer, and you may see bubbles come through the fermentation lock. The optimum fermentation temperature for this beer is 60–72º F – move the fermenter to a warmer or cooler spot as needed.
14) Active fermentation ends. Approximately 1-2 weeks after brewing day, active fermentation will end: the cap of foam falls back into the new beer, bubbling in the fermentation lock slows down or stops.
15) Rack the beer into a secondary fermenter, or simply add the Root Beer extract and sweetner pack to the fermenter. Let rest for an additional 1-2 weeks

How did this work out for you Easymode?

Just getting ready to make this and was curious if anyone had any updates on the separation issue...?

How did this work out for you Easymode?

Just getting ready to make this and was curious if anyone had any updates on the separation issue...?

Unfortunately I have not had an opportunity. My wife and I are in the middle of boxing up my house because we are building a massive addition and expanding our kitchen. So I have not had time to get to the brew shop

Good luck with the build...hopefully it goes smoothly but we know how that usually goes.

I'm going to go ahead and make this from the recipe from page 2 and add in your tweaks except I probably won't boil for 60 minutes maybe just long enough to dissolve the DME, brown sugar and Lactose and see how it goes...maybe 10 or 15 minutes,if that long?

Good luck with the build...hopefully it goes smoothly but we know how that usually goes.

I'm going to go ahead and make this from the recipe from page 2 and add in your tweaks except I probably won't boil for 60 minutes maybe just long enough to dissolve the DME, brown sugar and Lactose and see how it goes...maybe 10 or 15 minutes,if that long?

Well, it was the brew expert who's actually made hard root beer using Dme that said that. I'd follow the instructions. Better to be safe than sorry. You never know if boiling for that period of time changes the DME somehow

Ok,I will follow the instructions and see how it turns out. I wasn't really thinking to much about the DME as I was the Lactose. 60 minutes it is...
Thanks easy

I cooked up my first batch 4 days ago. It was really active until yesterday. Now it's seemingly inactive.

I cooked up my first batch 4 days ago. It was really active until yesterday. Now it's seemingly inactive.

It's possible it stalled. If it did you can lightly stir the batch, but be sure to not stir too much. If you add oxygen it messes it up. You'd just want to lightly "fluff" up the bottom. If you do it and still nothing happens, I'd still wait until the time frame it recommends

To quote the HBT sages: check the gravity. Whether in a bucket or carboy, leaks can make it seem like nothing is going on when in fact it is. OR, checking the gravity will also tell you whether or not you really did have a runaway fermentation.

So it's been 7 days. I tested it at 1.014 which is what 5%? Anyway the color is a little light.

So it's been 7 days. I tested it at 1.014 which is what 5%? Anyway the color is a little light.

So, assuming you were using an ale yeast, you may be done. Did you use any temperature control? If it fermented that fast, I'd bet it's going to taste pretty hot, it may be worth letting it sit a bit longer so the yeast can clean up, at least a little bit. The ABV will depend on where you started with your OG.

After primary, my batches are lighter than iced tea. It's the extract that brings the color of the finished product. ...if it doesn't separate out, that is.

Latest posts

Back