Hard Lemonade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badger_04

Reaction score
I'm going to be making a batch of limoncello (lemons from my own tree) and using the zest from the lemons. Rather than waste the lemons, does anyone have a recipe for hard lemonade?

badger_04 said:
I'm going to be making a batch of limoncello (lemons from my own tree) and using the zest from the lemons. Rather than waste the lemons, does anyone have a recipe for hard lemonade?
i dont have a recipe but my guess is to get a lot of lemons together, add a lot of clear invert sugar (or just white cane sugar, it probably doesnt matter a whole lot) and pitch with a champagne yeast. perhaps make 5 gallons of lemonade first, then add a lot of extra sugar, and the yeast. i think a champagne yeast would be best though im not really sure. this is a good idea, i think i'll try it this summer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484

theres another thread on it. on second thoughts, i think you're going to want to brew a concoction that is all water and candi sugar, and pitch a cider yeast or a champagne yeast. you could put some lemon rind in the boil, but put the pure lemon juice in the secondary fermenter. make the original mixture about 4-4.5 gallons and strong, then add .5-1 gallons of pure lemon juice. if you do it, post your recipe and tell us how it turned out, i want to try a batch myself.

I'm also planning on trying this one....thinking of:

4 lb. Light
6 cans frozen Minute Maid lemonade mix
1 pkg Champagne Yeast

Maybe some yeast neutrient, but I'm not sure.....

Going to town to get the bottles for my hard lemonade. I day racked it in to the secondary 8 days ago. SG at start was 1.085, do not forget the lemonde con. has sugar in it. When i racked it sg was at 1.020. I tasted it and it had the bite of a very cheap wine. So I let it age in the seconadary to help it smooth out. When I bottle it i will take a taste and report back

Back