Hard lemonade with Realemon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinstan

Reaction score
So I already know about the skeeter pee, but have a question for a 1 gallon batch of hard lemonade. I have a 32 oz of Realemon I want to use with water, sugar, and yeast. Will it work doing it that simple ? The skeeter pee is too complex for a 1 gallon batch, but I want to try my hands at making some hard lemonade. I have read about how it's hard to ferment lemon, and yeast starters, and acidity - but what if I mix the concentrate with water, melt and add about a pound of white sugar, then pitch my yeast. Would it take off ? Anyone tried it this simple before with Realemon ?

all skeeter pee is lemon water sugar and yeast. nothing complex at all about it. make your must use some apple juice to make a starter with your yeast over a day or two add some lemon must to the apple juice allowing the yeast to get used to the environment, pour starter in and wait..

quick math 20 oz of lemon 3 cups sugar plus water to gallon= 1 gallon batch of skeeter pee..

I don't understand the yeast starter. Could you help me out a little more ?

Are you saying I would use some apple juice and water In my 1 gallon glass carboy with the yeast, then slowly add the Realemon over the period of a couple of days ?

sorry.. make your lemon must in your gallon carboy, use separate container to make an apple juice starter pitch the yeast into the apple juice let it ferment out, add some of the must from the gallon carboy each time fermentation will restart, after 2 days or so you will have billions of happy yeast already used to the acidy environment of the lemon must. swirl the sediment and pour the starter into fermenter and watch it take off. try to figure the correct amounts so the starter will fill the remainder of the carboy with some space for fermentation.

Back