Hard Apple Cider Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobeshoreknot

Reaction score
Hello All,

I received a 1-Gallon kit for making hard cider for Christmas from Williams Sinoma. When I say kit, I mean a gallon glass jug, airlock, hose, and a pack of Star Champagne yeast.

I purchased two half gallons of pasteurized (no preservatives though) organic apple cider from my local Harris teeter. I added two cups of sugar. The nutrition facts on the label of the cider stated 24g of sugar per 8 ounce serving. I used the packet of Star brand Champagne Yeast and set the airlock. I started this on 12/26 and started seeing nice bubbling within 12 hours.

I did not have a hydrometer when I initiated the batch, but took a reading today and it displayed 1.08. Any idea how much alcohol content I should expect?

Also, the instructions do not indicate how to tell when the cider is complete. I want to bottle it in a manner that holds some carbonation if possible. Any ideas? I would like for it to maintain some apple flavor if possible, but above all, I do not want it to be bone dry in taste.

Also not too sure about the bottling process... Should I use glass bottles? I found some Mr beer plastic ones on Amazon that I think might serve the purpose.

I appreciate any feedback you may have in assisting this amateur. :)

A whole packet of yeast was a bit much. That packet of yeast is good for 5 gallons. 1.080 is about 10% potential. You'll need to measure later when you're ready to rack. You take your second reading and subtract from the first reading to get your ABV. As far as when your done fermenting I've found that at room temp (65-70F) the champagne yeast I use, Lalvin 1118 ferments to 1.010 SG in about 10 days. The bubbling in the lock ends and I rack at that point. I leave it in secondary fermentation for 2 weeks and then bottle.

This site has good instruction on the process http://www.makehardapplecider.com

I'm working on my 5th 2gal batch so I'm not an expert by any means but I've been really happy with my results.

I didn't use the whole yeast packet, I almost did but then re-read the directions. I should have mentioned that earlier. Thanks for the info.

Did your bottled version have any carbonation?

If you want sweet cider, you have three options:
-let it ferment to dry and back sweeten to taste with non-fermentable sweeteners like Stevia or Splenda
-ferment it to your desired sweetness (short of dry) and stop fermentation with a chemical stabilizer (I have never done this but it is widely used)
-bottle it and pasteurize it using your dishwasher or a hot water bath. If you choose the hot water bath, please be sure to read Papper's thread on stove-top pasteurization. Bottle explosions are not uncommon and can put some velocity on glass shards.

If you want bottled, sweet, carbonated cider, you almost have to heat-pasteurize. Papper's thread on pasteurization is a sticky on the cider forum. I found that five 12 oz bottles get to a yeast-killing 145 deg F when they spend 4 minutes in water that started at 185. That is with moderate carbonation (24 hours of carbing in my case). Over carbonation guarantees bottle detonation. Be sure to read Papper's thread (there are plenty of cautionary tales throughout the lengthy thread) cover to cover if you choose this method.

Regardless, you will have a delicious outcome! Good luck and enjoy.

Did your bottled version have any carbonation?

Yes though it's a very mild carbonation. I've used the dextrose carbonation drops, brown sugar, and white table sugar with similar results. The white and brown sugar have the advantage of being cheap.

Back