Harbor Freight Marine Pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverseMonk

Reaction score
Is there any reason one of these wouldn't work in a brewing application?

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-marine-utility-pump-9576.html

I briefly read through the manual, but I know next to nothing about pumps. The only thing I couldn't find is any info about the what the "guts" are made of and if they are food grade and high-temp resistant. The stainless housing would be ideal, especially for this price.

Is it mag drive? If not, it may not like having the flow shunted...

Also, if not mag drive, it will have seals and some sort of bearing material where the drive shaft enters the pump head. This could pose an issue. You really want a magnetic drive pump.

It is less than half as fast as a 2-MD-HC... and the lack of mag. drive is a real problem

I believe it is self priming, so it probably is not a mag drive pump. But again, I know jack about pumps.

I have one that I use for a camping shower. It works well for that.

1. It is a self priming pump, so it would be difficult to regulate the flow. You could rig up a bypass return loop, but that's not a very practical solution IMO.
2. It requires a big 12v DC power supply as it draws about 7 amps on start up and can exceed that if the flow is restricted or shut off. I've blown 10 amp fuses that way a few times. A power supply that big would be prohibitively expensive. I use an automotive battery to power mine.
3. It's not a magnetic drive pump, so it would be difficult to properly sanitize.
4. It's not rated for high temperatures, but the pump head is SS, so it may work regardless.
5. This pump is very noisy. Annoyingly so.

dont do it. you pay for what you get from harbor freight. if you want to buy another pump in 2 weeks, by all means buy it. but their stuff is usually not good quality. Also theres probably a reason why you havent seen more HBers use it. Homebrewers are pretty resourceful and can make a lot of stuff work if this pumps works welll someone would be toteing it all over this site.

This thing is rated at 200 GPH, a March 809 is rated at 270 GPH

Yeah, I noticed that too, but IIRC the rating that Harbor Freight lists isn't correct. The specs in the user manual that came with the pump listed a much higher flow rate, although I don't remember exactly what the actual number was.

lol..this is taken right from the HB listing for the pump:

"Compact and lightweight, this self-priming pump is ideal for clearing bilges and for other marine applications, as well as utility pumping around your home. Pumps water at up to 200 gallons per minute. Clips onto 12 volt battery terminals."

I know that's a typo in the ad, but makes you wonder about the accuracy of the stuff they print. 200 gallons per minute is a lot of water!

One thing I would be concerned about with the HB pump is that it is designed for intermittent use and if run for extended periods it would likely overheat and go south pretty quick.

I'm always leery of HF stuff in the first place. Thanks for all the feeback though. I have a march, but I'm always on the look out for a good deal for the appropriate "tool" (and again, HF is usually not the answer) and to learn something in the process.

I bought one to use in transferring cooled wort to my fermentor, and to circulate cleaning solution through my CIP unit. I got the slightly faster one, 300GPH, for $50. I already hav a spare battery laying around from ym trolling motor so that wasn't an additional expense. If its loud I'll wear earplugs for the 2min it takes to transfer wort.

The pump housing is metal, I don't know what the impeller is made from but I assume its plastic. I'll call the company and see if they know what it is. Fore the cleaning application it won't matter, for wort pumping it does but that exposure time is quite limited.

As for regulating the flow, you can do that with head or hose diameter. The pump has dual threads, male garden hose or female 3/8" NPT. I'm assuming the 3/8" would restrict flow and slow rate, the pump can't go above 50psi though.

I have this pump and use it in my brewery, and have successfully completed numerous 13 gallon batches. Full on HERMS system, and no problems yet.

Latest posts

Back