Happy Mishap! Speidel Instead of Fermonster!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEWNCfarms

Reaction score
Ordered 3 fermonsters 6 gallons from morebeer on thanksgiving and received them today, I opened them up and to my surprise 3 - 30L/7.9 Gallon Speidel’s were inside!

The spigot, airlock, and stopper were for the fermonster so they won’t fit, but Called them about it and they are letting me keep the speidel’s and sending me appropriate spigot, etc... Thanks morebeer! Christmas came a little early!

I guess also it’s a little DIVINE PROVIDENCE and Karma, I went to a great local beer shop Fermental and bought my first Jolly Pumpkins, the tender accidentally overcharged me on my card and when they went to void it and then recharge me it pulled all my money out (money is tight) and so then at the end of all that the owner was like it’s on the house! 4 bottles of Jolky Pumpkin! But since they were so nice and generous I took them back what it was supposed to be once my rebate was cleared. And I guess that “paid” off!

Anyone have any experience with these speidel’s? I do miss I can’t look inside of it during primary, but definitely a lot more sturdy plastic and bigger head space so I don’t need a blow off tube.!

Nice!

Keep in mind the HDPE plastic is much more oxygen-permeable than the PET plastic of a FerMonster.

People do successfully use HDPE for long-term sours but it's a little more risky for acetic acid formation. I don't mind a little acetic acid, personally, but some do.

Nice!

Keep in mind the HDPE plastic is much more oxygen-permeable than the PET plastic of a FerMonster.

People do successfully use HDPE for long-term sours but it's a little more risky for acetic acid formation. I don't mind a little acetic acid, personally, but some do.
Yeah it worked out perfect because I’ll use these as my primary fermenters so I don’t need a blow off, and then rack to a fermonster for sours. Maybe keep one speidel for Sour primary use the other two for clean.

Back