Handicap adjusting my brewing area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jastor

Reaction score
Hey!

An injury has basically put me in a wheelchair permanently. Now I'm looking for ideas on how I could build my brewing area considering my new handicap (e.g making it easier lifting/moving 30litre buckets with 20litres of brew).

I'm not in the mood to give up on my brewing hobby just because I have had to move to a wheelchair.

I admire that kind of stick-to-itiveness!

What kind of setup do you have? I'd say pumps a-la-3 tier system for moving the wort around are a good start. A furniture dolly perhaps with an eye hook and a rope (and a few straps) for moving buckets and carboys. Maybe some sort of swing arm and pulley system for hoisting?? A full pipeline to bribe your friends into the heavy lifting?

I just realized, I'm fairly rubbish at mechanical and engineering advice. But I'm hopeful that somebody here has better ideas. Who knows, you might end up helping us all come up with brilliant easy methods.

A plus is that I haven't bought much equipment yet so theres nothing that will go to waste, a couple of carboys and the 30litre bucket to brew in + the necessary cleaning stuff. I'm pretty new in this hobby.

edit:
I just realized. I got a couple of friends who are industrial pipefitters. So they could weld and install as advanced pipe system I want (or that you can come up with as long as the material cost doesn't run off).

I always admire the setup on the electric brewery site. Maybe you can make one of those type setups to reduce the actual labor in brewing?

Or you can MacGyver the hell out of it with some pulleys and fun sounding inventions like neosapien had suggested.

Goodluck :mug:

Where there's a will there's a way :D

My first thought is a winch (or a few, depending on how you want to set things up, BIAB in a single vessel up to 3 vessel single/3 tier) and some moving dollys/2-wheeler. 2 or 3 pumps in a multi vessel setup.

Where there's a will there's a way :D

My first thought is a winch (or a few, depending on how you want to set things up, BIAB in a single vessel up to 3 vessel single/3 tier) and some moving dollys/2-wheeler. 2 or 3 pumps in a multi vessel setup.

I know roughly the Swedish jargong for homebrewing. But not the English. I have no idea what BIAB or a 3 tier setup is. :(

I like your attitude, sir. I'd recommend pumps. Lifting that much wort/liquid is arduous no matter what, so with pumps you'd be able to move it around with essentially the flip of a switch.

BIAG = Brew In A Bag. single tier is all on the same level, 2 tier is two different levels to use gravity to drain to the lower level, and 3 tier is three different levels to use gravity to drain to the lower level.

I know roughly the Swedish jargong for homebrewing. But not the English. I have no idea what BIAB or a 3 tier setup is. :(

BIAB is brew in a bag. You put your grains in a bag then into a kettle to mash. After the mash is done and whatever type of sparge you do the bag is removed and the boil is started. Usually one pot is used in the whole process.

3 tier is usually an all gravity system with a hot liquor tank (hot water) at the top draining into a mash tun then on the lowest level it the boil kettle.

I would imagine, if you can afford it, a custom made 3 vessel electric system using pumps for transfer. You could keep this low so that being in a wheel chair would not be too much of a hindrance.

My initial thought is to use a lowered single tier set up with pumps to move liquid around so no lifting would be necessary. That won't help with getting rid of the grain at the end unless you incorporated a dump system. Even if you went with a one or two kettle BIAB system you would still need to get rid of the grain but keeping it lower for accessibility purposes I don't see as being a problem especially if you go electric. If you can't get the stand low enough a platform of sorts could be constructed to allow you to wheel up onto and be able to reach where you needed to.

BIAB is brew in a bag. You put your grains in a bag then into a kettle to mash. After the mash is done and whatever type of sparge you do the bag is removed and the boil is started. Usually one pot is used in the whole process.

3 tier is usually an all gravity system with a hot liquor tank (hot water) at the top draining into a mash tun then on the lowest level it the boil kettle.

I would imagine, if you can afford it, a custom made 3 vessel electric system using pumps for transfer. You could keep this low so that being in a wheel chair would not be too much of a hindrance.

Well I'm getting a bunch of cash from the insurance. So I'm probably gonna get my friend to buy the pumps/pipes etc. and build a system for me. Now we just need to figure out the layout/plans :).

See this thread for how BIAB can be done. It has some nice pictures documenting the process.

This one, shows how someone uses a winch for brewing.

EDIT: Thanks Yopper. You got to it before I could delete those duplicates :D

I like the idea of going electric, that means a lot less stuff, like LP tanks . The guys who talk in the automated forum, brew by pushing buttons, that turns pumps on, ect.. or you could be like me and just plug the pump in. This is a good hobby for everyone. I'd say if you can install a pully on a piviting arm in the ceiling to help with picking up the pots for cleaning. And the things movers use called crawlers could also help moving stuff. It would help if we could know the space your going to brew in and the things avable like, water, electic, gas, carboy storage, do you want to be moble (roll out of doors) or keep everything in one spot? You should keep us updated on how this is going, because many others could use this info too.

I went automated NG, but in your situation, I would definitely go electric since you won't need the added height of the burners. That would probably keep the top of your kettles low enough to access while in a wheelchair. Which means you'd also be able to move an hoses around and whatnot. Working out an easy way to clean out your mash tun might be your hardest thing to design. Maybe some type of upside down tippy type dump that goes over the top of the kettle that you can winch off the ground to a good height to clean?

Or, electric BIAB where everything is lifted out with the bag and you only have to worry about cleaning the bag?

I definitely am with everyone else on the use of pump(s).

I went automated NG, but in your situation, I would definitely go electric since you won't need the added height of the burners. That would probably keep the top of your kettles low enough to access while in a wheelchair. Which means you'd also be able to move an hoses around and whatnot. Working out an easy way to clean out your mash tun might be your hardest thing to design. Maybe some type of upside down tippy type dump that goes over the top of the kettle that you can winch off the ground to a good height to clean?

Or, electric BIAB where everything is lifted out with the bag and you only have to worry about cleaning the bag?

I definitely am with everyone else on the use of pump(s).

BIAB is definitely on my list of how to set this up. Sorry but I forgot to mention this has to be indoors, I have no access to a garage or something that I know that some of you probably are using.

Access to water and electric outlets are no problm (240V) but I wont be able to put in any pulleys :(.

check out theelectricbrewery.com for some idea of an indoor electric brewing setup, my 2 cents

Ah. I asked for the URL to that site earlier but didn't get any response to that. Thanks!!

jastor said:
BIAB is definitely on my list of how to set this up. Sorry but I forgot to mention this has to be indoors, I have no access to a garage or something that I know that some of you probably are using.

Access to water and electric outlets are no problm (240V) but I wont be able to put in any pulleys :(.
If pulleys are not an option, how about a moving dolly/2-wheeler with a winch? Something like this

http://www.wescomfg.com/html/lift_equipment/steel_four_wheel_winch.htm
http://www.wescomfg.com/html/lift_equipment/steel_two_wheel_winch.htm

I would recommend a BIMB set up. Brew In Multiple Bags. Often.

BIMBO :ban:

Use a normal mash tun but have the grains in 3 or 4 bags, tied off. Wet grain is heavy, but this way you can lift 10-15 pound bags rather than a 40 pound cooler.

Definitely start out with an extract batch. Forget the all grain side, just for the first few batches. This is good advice for any brewer, whether new to the hobby or just changing systems. Starting out with an AG batch can get a bit stressful and there is no need for that. And whatever you use for an extract batch can be used for AG if it is the right size.

Also you might want an elevated platform to get you a foot or two higher.

And definitely keep some beer on hand. Surely you have a neighbor that wouldn't mind moving a carboy and tossing out some grains in exchange for a growler. I am fully able-bodied (though absent-minded) and yet I have found peoples' willingness to help in exchange for beer is enormous. It isn't even "asking for help". It's just a friendly exchange. I give people money to buy/bring me sacks of grain... And I give them beer in payment. And we're all smiling thinking that we each are getting the better end of the deal.

Like was said. . .check out Kal's setup at http://theelectricbrewery.com and go from there. If you're going to want to spend a bunch of cash, this is the way to do it. Just adjust heights for wheelchair access and maybe add a couple overhead cranes/winches to move pots around.

For brewing indoors, especially if you want some atomation, electric would be the way to go. Just put a GFCI in that 240V line.
Check out this BIAB build

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/biab-brew-stand-hoist-pump-310459/

Its not electric, but a variation of the boom arm would solve some of your pulley problems. Just dump the burner, and use an electric element. You could even lower the whole setup, increasing access as well as stability. You could practically put it on the ground which would make dough in simpler. The inner basket would also protect the bag from an internal element. A control panel, counter flow chiller and pumps would would leve you turning switches, and opening/closing valves. As far as clean up, I cant help you there. Its work no matter how you look at it. Prosit.

for brewing indoors, especially if you want some atomation, electric would be the way to go. Just put a gfci in that 240v line.
Check out this biab build

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/biab-brew-stand-hoist-pump-310459/

its not electric, but a variation of the boom arm would solve some of your pulley problems. Just dump the burner, and use an electric element. You could even lower the whole setup, increasing access as well as stability. You could practically put it on the ground which would make dough in simpler. The inner basket would also protect the bag from an internal element. A control panel, counter flow chiller and pumps would would leve you turning switches, and opening/closing valves. As far as clean up, i cant help you there. Its work no matter how you look at it. Prosit.

gfci?

Ground Fault Current Interrupter. Its a type of breaker upstream of your electrical load. I'm no sparky,and I'm sure others could explain better, but its a safety precaution when using high voltage around water. Its supposed to trip BEFORE the juice kills you.
This is a must read thread if you are considering an electrical system.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/electrical-primer-brewers-145019/

Cheers!

Yeah a GFCI basically monitors the current flowing out the hot and back in the neutral and cuts the power if there's any imbalance. It's just a safety device designed to keep you from zapping yourself to death should the power go through you to someplace else.

Back