Half packet of open yeast..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menloavenue

Reaction score
I made a 1 gal batch last weekend and only used about half of a packet of Safbrew S-33. I saved the rest by wrapping a rubber band around the packet and putting it in the fridge. Is it ok to use this in a later batch?

I don't want to pitch contaminated yeast...

I would be concerned that you didn't seal that well enough to keep out the nasties. The fridge is chock full of nasties. If you must, then I would first sanitize the closed packet by spraying it with star san, then I would put the packet into a sanitized glass jar with the lid on tight.

Better yet, I would get a fresh packet of yeast, your beer is worth it. To me it's not worth the risk.

I have a half pack of 05 that's been in my fridge for months. I've had it in a ziplock baggie. I intend on using it in a one gallon batch just for craps and giggles. If it was a batch that I considered important I wouldn't use it, though...

Back