Half Gallon Brown Glass Growlers that Take Regular Crown Caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrowleyMonster

Reaction score
I am not a big fan of bottling. If I ever have to do it again, I would really like to get it over and done with, putting it up in half gallon or at least quarts, with crown caps and not flippy tops. But the only half gallon glass growlers I see all take 37mm screw-on caps which I assume are not meant to be re-used with bottle conditioned beer. I usually keg, but last time I didn't have a keg empty so I gathered up all my 22oz bomber bottles on hand, and my 12oz bottles, and made up the difference with some 16oz flip tops. Okay, the 22oz bottles are not so bad... that's actually about the right amount to go with my dinner. But being able to bottle in half gallons would be a nice thing, and I really prefer using regular caps. It's faster, and I don't see any reason to store an opened beer when I can just finish drinking it instead. I only bottle to have some I can easily take with me, or like last batch, I don't have an empty keg available. Yeah I have a couple of stainless pressurizeable growners but I just don't like using them. Somebody should make BIG brown glass crown cap bottles.

Never seen growlers that take 26mm crowns. If there is such a thing, you would need to ensure that they are strong enough to withstand pressure of carbonation.

Another idea: 2-liter PET soda bottles. You'd have to keep them in boxes away from light, but they would certainly hold the pressure.

If you're willing to bottle in quarts, I believe you can get 32 oz swingtops. 1L versions are out there, too.

Last edited:
Looks like EZ-Cap also makes a 2-L growler with a swing top, which they call a “Palla” growler. Don’t think these ones’ll take a crown cap, though, and they’re 15-20 US$ a piece.

Yeah I see the swing tops but after trying both, I prefer crown caps.
I use 1-L EZ-Cap bottles. I love the swing top, but they do work with crown caps, too. I’m unaware of anything bigger.
I will look them up. Thanks.

I was helping clean out an old widow's basement today and I found a brown glass beer bottle (no markings or label on it) that looks like a half gallon and takes a standard crown cap. Everything was going to the dumpster and she said we could keep anything we wanted.

I use 32 ounce Tecate bottles just like it but smaller, and I really like them except I had one burst when I didn't leave enough headspace. I don't know that just 3/4" of headspace was really the problem, but all the others that had about 1 1/4" headspace were fine and none were overcarbonated. https://www.safeway.com/shop/product-details.189011425.html

I may just keep this bigun as a curiosity and not fill it. Or use it for a minimally carbonated beer like something English.

I've never seen half gallon growlers that take a crown. If they're out there, they are probably expensive to source.

Several Mexican breweries put out quart bottles that will take a traditional 26mm crown. That's probably your best bet for a regular bottle.

If you have a capper with a 29mm bell you could track down 1.5l magnums which is closer to a half gallon. Not sure it would be worth it if you need to buy more bottling equipment.

If you're not opposed to plastic, the PET bottles mentioned above are good options. They are reusable, you would just need new plastic caps each time.

Mr. Beer makes some 0.74L (25oz) PET bottles with plastic screw caps. That’s probably your best bet if you don’t want 1L or 2L swing tops.

I still have the dozen of those I bought 20 years ago. They are super handy to have around - I use them for experimental quaffables and for kegging overruns. Right now I have a couple carbonating some overrun imperial stout, and I dosed them with glucoamylase that took the FG from a respectable 1.025 down to 1.008 (at last check). Considering the 1.107 OG those two bottles are gonna run hot :D; and one with the overrun of my latest raspberry hibiscus wheat beer. A bit of priming sugar and a tight cap and you can squish them to check if the carbonation has done its thing and not open them 'til they are ready :)

Cheers!

Back