Half-filling Corny Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denvergeek

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a few years now, but am just starting to look at kegging. Just too many dang bottles to keep washing and sanitizing in order to keep the new brew flowing.

I usually brew with my brother, who lives across town, either at my place or is, in 5 gallon batches. When bottling, we can just split the loot right down the middle, no problem.

However, since the Corny kegs are 5 gallons, and we'd both like to set up kegs in our respective households, can we half-fill our kegs? So one full 5 gallon batch gets split into two kegs, and we each take one home. Does this present any issues, or should I just plan on starting to brew in 10 gallon batches?

You can half fill cornies with no problem, just purge all the air out with co2 first. Personally, I'd start doing 10 gallon batches since you get twice the beer for basically the same time investment

c.n.budz said:
You can half fill cornies with no problem, just purge all the air out with co2 first. Personally, I'd start doing 10 gallon batches since you get twice the beer for basically the same time investment
+1 The only main thing, if you think about it is oxidation. If you start with a full keg and drink half of it, does it go bad? No. I would, as stated above, purge the hell out of it. Especially if you are going to slosh it around in the car.

c.n.budz said:

That's the idea eventually, to start doing 10 gallon batches. Just have to space out the costs of buying new gear to accommodate the larger batches...

I do this regularly on my 5 gallon batches. I bottle half and keg half. Too avoid oxidation I push sanitizer through the keg system using CO2. When the liquid is gone your keg is full of CO2 and conversely very little O2. Then keg your beer with the CO2 gas acting as a protective cap. Purge the remaining airspace several times and I've never had a problem.

You know, I've been lurking on HBT for only a couple of weeks, but man are you folks fast! This has to be one of the coolest and most helpful forums on the net.

denvergeek said:
You know, I've been lurking on HBT for only a couple of weeks, but man are you folks fast! This has to be one of the coolest and most helpful forums on the net.

I just got here too. I can't believe I've been brewing this long without HBT!

Also, I love how the answer to everything here is "Brew more Beer" :ban:

Just get your hands on a converted keg for a brew pot and you should be set.

GaryA said:
Just get your hands on a converted keg for a brew pot and you should be set.

Would you happen to know where I could find such a thing? Or should I just find an old keg and talk to my friendly neighborhood machinist?

Your best bet would be to just find a keg unless you get really lucky and find someone getting rid of a keggle. As for finding one just keep searching I haven't been able to find one for myself yet, well not at a price I am willing to pay anyway.

Cutting the top is easy and you can use weldless fitting or find someone local to weld in the valve for you.

Do you brew extract or all grain?

GaryA said:
Your best bet would be to just find a keg unless you get really lucky and find someone getting rid of a keggle. As for finding one just keep searching I haven't been able to find one for myself yet, well not at a price I am willing to pay anyway.

Cutting the top is easy and you can use weldless fitting or find someone local to weld in the valve for you.

Do you brew extract or all grain?

Thanks. Still doing extract brewing, and researching my options for getting into all-grain.

I’m one for 10 gallon batches also, that’s what I make and I’m the only drinker in the house, I do share.

the smaller kegs are just as much as 5 gallon kegs yes but they are also nice for traveling way easier to transport than 5 gallon ones.
You can just get a 20 gallon pot, a bag and burner and boom 10 gallon batches. I just reread your post and if your doing extract you can just buy 2 kits and split them, are you doing full boils? If you are you can just not to make it work.

You can just get a 20 gallon pot, a bag and burner and boom 10 gallon batches. I just reread your post and if your doing extract you can just buy 2 kits and split them, are you doing full boils? If you are you can just not to make it work.
Edit: I never answered your question, you can totally fill them half way, a good purge is key, unless you drink it quick and since it’s only 2.5 gallons that shouldn’t take long.

Back