Half filled bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireandice814

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been asked before. I bottled my IPA last week after 2 weeks in primary. My FG was stable for about 5 days at 1.012. (OG was 1.062) . I filled up 44 bottles and unfortunately the last bottle was only filled up half way. So I decided to cap it like the rest.

I'm getting impatient now and would like to check the process and see how carbonation is moving along. I already see a thin line sediment on the bottom of the beer bottle.

Should I put the half bottle in the fridge then try it? If it is still flat then should I recap it? I know patience is key but also interested in how the beer progresses over time

I'm just as impatient as you. I just opened a half bottle of a Saison after a week. Just like yours it had a nice layer of sediment. Chilled it and opened it, it have a nice hiss but it was flatish. Then my patience ran out again and I chilled in the fridge a full bottle and carbonation was almost where I want it.
I believe the extra head space fills with CO2 but there is not enough pressure for it to disolve in the beer.
I like opening my half beers a week or so in the bottle just for the fun of it. Of course I drank it flatish and enjoyed it just as much.
But try to be patient.

I wouldn't expect my half bottles to as carbed as my full bottles

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

just open it & drink it you have plenty of full bottles anyway, what's one half bottle? If it's not ready yet just don't open anymore:mug:

*edit
By ready yet I mean if it still tastes green, the headspace in the bottle will keep some of the co2 from being absorbed by the beer, & it likely will not be as carbed

It will not be fully carbed- the headspace will fill with undissolved CO2. It will be drinkable later, just more lightly carbonated.

Just don't use it to check your other bottles.
Guess you'll just have to drink a full one, then... :mug:

I've never capped a half-bottle. Anything less than a bottle becomes a 'sample' and is consumed immediately. :D

My advice is to wait at least 3 weeks before you start messing with the beer. Give it time to carb up and condition. No point in drinking a beer before it's time.

All of my "half-bottles" go right into my glass and I clean up with my "short-fill" reward :D

Latest posts

Back