Half dryed cones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexy_sm

Reaction score
Hi all guys,

my cones are half dried. Is this some kind of disease?

2016-07-14.jpg

Looks like cone tip blight, unfortunately there's not much right now in the way of treatment. The only effective control is the same as dealing with Fusarium Canker, which is cultivation practices.

Basically liming the soil to achieve a neutral PH, avoiding ammonium based nitrogen fertilizer and clearing the crown of vegetation are about the only known ways of controlling it.

I get this every year on my hops, so I'm thinking of setting up an experiment. I have 2 Nugget plants about to burr. I'm going to treat only one with sulphur and see if it makes any difference...I'll keep you posted

How to distinguish between downy Mildew and cone tip blight?

How to distinguish between downy Mildew and cone tip blight?

Downey infected plants show signs way before flowering. This is usually of little concern with commercial cultivars because they've been bred for resistance, or outright immunity. Downey infected plants will throw up spikes which stunt growth and eventually will kill the plant. Downey infected flowers, however, will die from the top down.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468967020.376669.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468967050.620400.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468967131.461976.jpg

Back