Half batches in the RoboBrew 3.1 with pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I've recently bought a RoboBrew which I'm really happy with, and I've done about 3 batches in it so far. My batches are usually around 25L in size (6.6 US gallons).

I would like to start experimenting with the occasional half batch - 12.5L (fermenter volume). For doing small batches with the Robobrew, should I do a full volume (no sparge) mash? What else should I do differently in comparison to a full volume brew?

I would definitely recommend full volume mash, it's so much easier and almost as efficient. I even prefer full volume mash on 6 gal low grav beers because in single vessel/biab sparge is not as essential imo.

I typically go the other way and make high grav wort in the robo and then water it back in the fermenter. This allows me to get 11-12 gal of wort at up to 1.050 in one batch.

I would definitely recommend full volume mash, it's so much easier and almost as efficient. I even prefer full volume mash on 6 gal low grav beers because in single vessel/biab sparge is not as essential imo.

Sweet, I'll skip the sparge next time. Saves me from having a dough in a thick mash which is something I really hate! I'm planning on making an American wheat beer for my next brew.

Now, have you ever tried a really high gravity small batch with the Robobrew? I'd eventually like to make a barley wine with it, something around 10% ABV but for that I'm guessing I'll need to add extract. From what I've read and experienced I know these units generally have a maximum grain bill of just over 7kg (16lb) or so before efficiency suffers dramatically but I'm just wondering roughly what the highest ABV I could get all grain with a half batch.

Seems like a good idea. I haven’t tried any high gravity beers since getting the Robobrew. Let us know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back