Half a gallon of mead to spare

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattleskull

Reaction score
We had half a gallon of mead to spare, so we put it in a plastic water carton you see at markets. Can I just let fermentation take its course in such material? will it be poisonous after its done fermenting?

The half gallon bottle of juice you see from ocean spray will work in a pinch. My experimental cucumber mead went into that and I have not died yet; however, my eyesight goes blurry after too much of the stuff. lol

Get yourself a gallon jug of cheap carlo rossi or similar brand wine...even if you just dump the wine or cook with it or something, its still a pretty cheap 1 gallon glass carboy... I agree with the others...for the short time you should be fine, but I might be hesitant to age it for very long in an unproven container...

Can you find a couple of half-bottles of something worth drinking? I would hesitate to use plastic because I'm not altogether sure what chemistry would be happening between my hooch and the bottle, but I can't imagine it'd be good for you. There's a reason wineries bottle in glass...

Latest posts

Back