hairline crack in my glass carboy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remman4

Reaction score
So, does this mean that I need to buy a new one, or can I engineer a patch of sorts?

Just noticed it today after I have washed out my most recent brew: a bronze ale

:mug:

TIA!

Well you could continue using it, but how long do you think it will last like that until it grows? One tap the right way and you lose your next batch.

Id chuck it, definitely not worth the hassle.

If it's really a crack, definitely toss it. I have what I thought at first to be a crack on the bottom of my 5 gallon glass carboy, but on closer inspection with a magnifying glass, it appears to be just a surface imperfection - like a string of molten glass strung across the bottom, or maybe a crack that had been remelted at the factory. If you really have a crack, I think that under the right lighting you would be able to see a shadow extending all the way through the glass - if you can't see anything except right on the surface, it may not be a crack. Of course, if you have any doubts, it's safer to toss it, and cheaper in the long run.

put it in a corner where you won't need to move it, and use it to hold your spare change. Once it's full, just move it a bit and it will be easy to get the change out... Just remember to wear gloves to protect you from the broken glass. . .

B

What is with the better bottle love?

The only plastic I am willing to buy are cheap buckets :)

I have a carboy that has a bb lodged in it. I guess someone shot at it one day and it didn't break. I've done 15 batches in it and no problems yet. I think it adds character.

I wouldn't use it if its cracked. I have broken 2 carboys, and one of them sent me to the hospital for some stitches, luckily that was it. Those things should be treated with a great amount of dereference, because if you are careless or clumsily like myself they quickly become razor bombs! If it is cracked already you are asking for serious pain or worse.

Back