Haier wine cooler - Peltier cooling system for real ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnchorBock

Reaction score
I've had a Haier 12 bottle wine cooler sitting in my basement (unused) for about 2 years. I was moving it around yesterday and noticed that the peltier cooling system on the back of the unit is easily removable with a phillips screw driver. Before I start toying around with it too much, I plugged it in and set it to "White Wine" to see what type of temp it maintains - which is 56F (half gallon jug of water). The unit stops there, so I assume it has more cooling potential as that is when the thermostat tells the system to stop.

My basement is around 60F right now, the highest it typically gets is around 65F in the summer, and lowest is around 55F in the winter. The product description says it's capable of getting to about 20 degrees below ambient temperature up to the mid 70's.

I am thinking this would be perfect for a single keg real ale (cask) set up to serve beer at around 50F through a RV hand pump (as shown in this thread). Does anyone have any experience with this? I couldn't find any useful threads. I'll have to either modify the existing thermostat or override it and use a temp controller, not sure how to do that yet, but I think it'll make more sense when I take it apart.

Just wanted to get some input and see if anyone else has done this. I'm okay with one keg, but it'd be even better if it could keep 2 kegs around 50F year round. It looks similar to the one posted here, but is gray: http://www.winecoolerexpert.com/haier-12-bottle-wine-cooler.html

Thanks for any input.

Here's a pic - circled in red in the lower right is the thermostat knob (RED WINE -> WHITE WINE) wires. How do I override this? If I just cut the wires and cap them together will the unit just run whenever the external temp controller tells it to? Not sure if that spot on the circuit board is also linked where I circled in the middle, I don't think so though.

Latest posts

Back