Haier 7.1 cu ft keezer dead...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opXus

Reaction score
After only 3 years of use, my 7.1 cu ft Haier has died.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Debating whether or not I should buy another Haier. My gut tells me no I should not, however looking for info from other users.

Thanks,

opXus

What temp controller? If Johnson Controls, do you have the ASD feature turned on? At least 3 minutes? Anti Short Cycle Delay FYI

Often times compressors burn out because this setting is not set correctly, or absent all together.

No sound whatsoever coming from compressor, inside temp is essentially ambient 72 degrees. Johnson Controller, yes, ASD set to 2 min. Possibly the reason?

Thanks for all the input.

That's much better than running but not cooling.
Good chance you can fix it with a "3 in 1" start relay and capacitor kit.

Cheers!

haha! Maybe not the best video for this ;)

No sound whatsoever coming from compressor, inside temp is essentially ambient 72 degrees. Johnson Controller, yes, ASD set to 2 min. Possibly the reason?

Thanks for all the input.
Maybe too short a delay yes. Mine is set to 3 min, and 37-40 degrees. Holds temp well beyond that so its more insurance.

You sure the compressor is getting power? Has the thermal relay tripped? There should be a thermal breaker on the compressor that is part of the relay that energizes the start & run windings of the motor. Got to probe with a DMM around the leads see whats up.

To clarify, no noise from compressor, compressor is VERY warm to touch. No cooling whatsoever inside freezer.

I remember reading about the ASD feature somewhere, whether on these forums or just in the instruction booklet, however I guess I just didnt see a long enough timeframe.

To clarify, no noise from compressor, compressor is VERY warm to touch. No cooling whatsoever inside freezer.

I remember reading about the ASD feature somewhere, whether on these forums or just in the instruction booklet, however I guess I just didnt see a long enough timeframe.
Thats bad, compressor is probably seized. Need to check the start and run winding resistances. It can also be the relay is simply seized too, putting all the power to the start windings and not switching to the run winding. Bad capacitor possible too. Look for bulging at the end vent. Hard to tell.

Here are my symptoms (for a chest freezer):

Will only cool down to about 60 degrees. Inside front wall seems cool/cold. Condensation and a bit of ice still forms towards the top. If I put ice in bucket inside will get down to about 50.

Compressor seems to be running fine. Not overly hot.

Will turn off and back on if I set the tempo controller (Johnson) at 60 or so.

No leaks that I can see.

Out of compressor there are 2 cooper tubes going up into the freezer (one on each side). One is warm to touch and the other is cool (not cold).

Looks like coolant capacity is 10 oz (from label). Cubic feet rating is about 15.

I have bypassed the temp controller and plugged the freezer directly into the power outlet but the symptoms remain the same.

Anyone care to take a guess or give advice on what to troubleshoot?

if the compressor is hot then i doubt this is it...But saw this thread and thought about tech support 'solutions'...

Have you tried plugging something else into the same wall socket to make sure it's getting power? i didn't see any mention about lights on or anything just that it didn't make a peep...

and if the wall socket is good try plugging the fridge directly into the wall to see if the controller is bad? maybe the juice ain't enough to start the motor or something....just sitting there heating up...

Back