Had issues racking my New England Hazy Wheat to my fermentation bucket, should I use a hop spider to rack to my bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TsunamiMike

Reaction score
Alright, never had this issue before.

There was a ton of hops, flaked oats and flaked wheat in my New England Hazy Wheat Brewers Best kit, when I went to rack it to my fermentation bucket after cooling my siphon kept getting clogged. So I put a strainer over the bucket and just dumped the rest through the strainer into the bucket.

My fear is that I did transfer alot of particles. Now that the fermentation process is finished I let it sit an additional week now hoping everything goes to the bottom before racking it to my keg.

The thought dawned on me to maybe use a hop spider and siphon the beer into the hop spider and into a bottling bucket before going into the keg. Thoughts?

I know this is supposed to be hazy so I am not sure about putting in gelatin, should I cold crash?

What are you fermenting in?

Keg it as is. Your first few pints might be murky but that’s fine.

The greatest detriment to NE style beers is O2. Racking through a hop spider into a bottling bucket then into a keg is going to utterly destroy and alter your hop presence

Two murky “ruined” pints is less of an evil than one super oxidized “ruined” keg. This one’s a no brainer if you asked me.

Also, closed transfer, purged keg, etc, etc, etc to preserve your hop presence.

Edit: don’t cold crash or gelatin unless you can prevent O2 suck back into the fermentation vessel.

Am I the only one that doesn't siphon from my kettle to fermentation vessel? I just dump it in after cooling and maybe leave the trub that settled at the bottom of the kettle if possible. If not, oh well. It will all settle out during fermentation before i siphon to my keg.
When adding wort to the primary fermentation vessel, its actually good to get it churning anyway right? You need some oxygen at that point in time... that's why people aerate.

Am I the only one that doesn't siphon from my kettle to fermentation vessel?
No, I do, but apparently there are different rules for NEIPA because of the desire to avoid staling.
I aggressively dump the cooled wort into the fermenter for the same reason you mention.
I never made nor have I ever had a NEIPA but I've read a lot about it and the fear of hop deterioration due to added oxygen.

zero replies eh? I think I am going to cold crash and hope it doesnt pull any of the "haze" out of it... ugh

Cold crashing hazy beers is fine. I always cold crash my dry hopped beers. You want the hops and yeast to settle out. Anything that settles out in a cold crash would have just settled out in the bottle or after a few days in the keg.

Am I the only one that doesn't siphon from my kettle to fermentation vessel?

I often pour through a coarse screen to filter out the majority of the hop particles.

Back