HABANERO for subtle flavor Best style & hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mensplace

Reaction score
This weekend I thorughly enjoyed sampling a broad range of beer styles made by the many breweries in the Asheville NC area. After a few days of pub crawling we enjoyed an evening of Mexican food in the Biltmore Village. When I asked for some sauce that was a tad warmer, I was brought a very finely minced habanero. Curously, it wasn't as hot s many I have had in the past, so I was able to actually taste the inherent sweetness and spiciness. Then the lightbult went on. THIS would be incredible if very subtly used in the background of the proper ale...NOT so as to totally predominate. This, of course, then led me to consider what best ale style would provide the best canvas for this..I'm thinking something that is basically dry and not dark...maybe a pale ale or lager? The too comes the consideration of the best hops...maybe something with natural citrus notes that, like a spice, would all work together with maybe one whole habanero, not chopped.

Check my drop down.

The Sterling Gold uses crushed black pepper for a bit of spice, but I'd imagine a touch of habanero pepper (stripped of seeds and with pith) would be fantastic.

<bump>

I made a 5gal batch of the smoked habenero amber lager out of Radical Brewing.. used one finely chopped Habenero, deseeded and deveined, in the boil. Beer is great. No heat, and you can certainly taste the pepper.

I might have to pick Radical Brewing up, I've been wanting to make a habanero beer for a while! Does the fruitiness of the habanero come out in the final product?

I determined last week that Randy Mosher's Smoked Habanero was my next beer... You say no heat in the final product. Does the boil take away the sting of the pepper? I'm looking around and everyone who seems to be claiming heat mention that the habanero's are added secondary.

Don't get me wrong - I love heat in my food - just don't want too much in my beer. At least not for 5 gallons worth!

Thanks!

I determined last week that Randy Mosher's Smoked Habanero was my next beer... You say no heat in the final product. Does the boil take away the sting of the pepper?

I only used one pepper and took out the seeds and the white material along the inside. That is where all the heat is. The heat in this beer was barely noticeable after about 3 beers.

Anyone else do any experimenting with habanero pepper in a 5 gallon batch? I was going to add habanero to a stout and there doesn't seem to be much information out there that I have found on how best to add it.

I saw one post (above) where the brewer added one whole pepper without seeds and white material to the secondary and another internet resource that did the following. I assume the half pepper still had seeds and veins. Anyone have any advice for me? Thanks!:

I made a habanero beer once in texas and it came out real good. You can use any type beer recipe. I just took a half of one habanero and boild it for 10 minutes then dropped in the secondary for a week. Beer had a nice normal beer flavor then the heat would hit. Not overpowering but you knew it was a hot pepper beer. That half of habanero was in a 5 gallon batch so if you like it real hot you might try a whole habanero or maybe more but they are HOT so don't get carried away.

If you want more habanero flavor and less heat try to find some tobago seasoning or trinidad perfume. They are habanero type peppers (capsicum chinense) with habanero flavor and very low heat.

Also, it is true that most of the pepper's heat is in the placenta and on the seeds, peppers like the hab and super hots have PLENTY of heat in the rest of the pod.

This is wayyyy late, but I thought id toss on my two cents as I just made my second batch of a habenero beer. I bought a two hearted clone kit online, and decided to make a habenero (HOPenero) IPA. The first time I chopped up and threw about three peppers in the boil for the last 5 minutes (probably not the best idea but whatever) and then threw in about three more chopped up ones I then boiled in hot water for a brief period and dry (peppered?) the beer with them.

I thought it came out great, especially initally, the pepper was there... and have a great taste that complemented the hops, and you got a little heat on the back of your throat.

Anyway, I remade it again, only this time going for about 8-9 peppers total. The first few times I cracked one open, WOW was it hot.... definitely a great ne to share with someone, but it definitely burned the back of your throat a little bit, but was quite delicious. Now after a few weeks it has mellowed out and it might be my favorite beer I've made, and the only one i actually tried to recreate.

This is wayyyy late, but I thought id toss on my two cents as I just made my second batch of a habenero beer. I bought a two hearted clone kit online, and decided to make a habenero (HOPenero) IPA. The first time I chopped up and threw about three peppers in the boil for the last 5 minutes (probably not the best idea but whatever) and then threw in about three more chopped up ones I then boiled in hot water for a brief period and dry (peppered?) the beer with them.

I thought it came out great, especially initally, the pepper was there... and have a great taste that complemented the hops, and you got a little heat on the back of your throat.

Anyway, I remade it again, only this time going for about 8-9 peppers total. The first few times I cracked one open, WOW was it hot.... definitely a great ne to share with someone, but it definitely burned the back of your throat a little bit, but was quite delicious. Now after a few weeks it has mellowed out and it might be my favorite beer I've made, and the only one i actually tried to recreate.

Holy crap, you put 6 habaneros in 5 gallons? I assume they weren't dried...

I use dried in my blonde ale but that is only 1oz crushed added to the boil @10min. I did a trial batch with one per gallon and it was way too hot!! But I also dry and crush mine seeds and all.

Back