Gushers today... bottle bombs tomorrow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouroboros

Reaction score
I just cracked open the first 5 bottles of a 5-yeast experiment that I had started months ago, and beer started overflowing from the bottle. I was going to taste-test each of the brews, write my notes, and then polish them off :drunk:

All 5 had the same problem. It was not a geyser that shot a foot into the air, but it definitely was over-pressurized. Like when some ********* taps the top of your bottle with his own, forcing you to chug your beer and then tell him that he is a *********.

It seems a little odd that I would have introduced an infection into 5 random bottles. Any ideas what might be wrong? I primed with sucrose, using 2/3 oz per gallon. If anyone has experienced this, about how long would I have before my gushers become something more explosive? Anything I can do to avoid or prepare for this? I have them fairly close to a carboy right now and am considering moving them so that any potential shrapnel ends up in a workbench and not an expensive glass jug full of expensive brew.

Oh... and I bottled 17 days ago. The beer has been in my garage, which has been in the 80-90 range but (unfortunately) hit 110F about a week ago. The day after that happened, I moved it inside to room temperature.

The beer is pretty simple. All 2-row except for a pound of crystal 60. The yeasts were bells, pacman, american ale I, american ale II, and denny's favorite 50. There wasn't so much as a hint of anything funky in the primaries.

Back