Guinness Surger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buenaventura

Reaction score
Have you seen yet?

:confused:

1) U2 playing in background? Really?
2) It looks like this is the easy fix to the problem that most undereducated bartenders have in not knowing how to properly pour a pint of black.

Skip to 1:15, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had not seen the video yet, but I listened to my wife attempt to explain this thing to me a few months ao. She was at a conference in Denver and had a guinness served to her like this at the bar in her hotel.

Unfortunately, the undereducated bartender didn't understand how the thing worked and told my wife that it was sending an electrical shock through the beer to make the bubbles.

This is disappointing. Just pour the freakin' thing. If you know how to pour it will turn out perfectly. This just makes it easier for idiots to become "beer masters."

When I go out to bars when I am back in rural Ohio visiting my family, sometimes the only thing they have that isn't BMC is Guinness, and the folks pouring are by NO MEANS expert bartenders. They just pull levers and collect money.

I would rather have that person use this crutch than attempt (and fail) to pour me a pint the old fashioned way.

Personally I think this is a great idea. Guinness poured from a can is extremely difficult to do well. The action just isn't vigorous enough produce a proper pint.

I haven't tried it, but if it can turn those nasty draught cans into a real Guinness then hats off to them.

I would not go as far as disappointing but it seems odd.

SA had the flavor releasing spots on the bottom of their glasses and now Guinness seems to have come up with a more controlled, violent version of the same thing.

All these things really do is make beer flat/flatter faster, sure it "makes a nice head" or "releases aroma" at the expense of the bubbles.

The real question is:

What happens if you were to drop a 50/50 shot glass of Jamo and Baileys into the glass then "surge" it?

:drunk:

These have been around for a number of years now. Guinness used to sell a home version, but I think they discontinued it.

Etched glass wear has been around forever. It provide nucleation points for CO2 to come out of solution. It does provide a better aroma and a more persistent head. All around a good trick.

Guinness is almost completely flat. The problem with canned Guinness is that the NO2 never gets out of solution well enough and the drink tastes crappy and the creaminess is destroyed along with that beautiful creamy head.

I had seen the home one, but never used that either. I wonder if that would be a good eBay pick up...

Personally I think this is a great idea. Guinness poured from a can is extremely difficult to do well. The action just isn't vigorous enough produce a proper pint.

I haven't tried it, but if it can turn those nasty draught cans into a real Guinness then hats off to them.
There is a special surger can, not your typical draught can.

Budweiser in the back of that fridge in the video!

It may be ultrasonic. We have several large ultrasonic tanks at my job and when you first turn on the ultrasonics they degas the liquid very quickly.

Went to a concert in a smaller place couple of years ago and ordered a Guinness. The chick took the bottle and shoved it upside down into the glass! Then drew it up as the bottle emptied. I just about crapped my pants, but when the bottle was empty, there was the perfect amount of head on that beer! I've since done this at home and with the proper size glass works very well. Just make sure it's big enough.

Went to a concert in a smaller place couple of years ago and ordered a Guinness. The chick took the bottle and shoved it upside down into the glass! Then drew it up as the bottle emptied. I just about crapped my pants, but when the bottle was empty, there was the perfect amount of head on that beer! I've since done this at home and with the proper size glass works very well. Just make sure it's big enough.
Yeah, that's called an inverted pour and is pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Make sure the bottle doesnt have nasty bits on it either

when i bartended, my manager did that once. i was like wtfareyoudoing but it actually turned out to be a good pour.

Hmmm..... that is weird. So this is for a bar that wants to serve Guinness but not much of it. I guess. Pretty small market I would think but whatever.

Place down the street has one stout faucet on which they have about half the time Beamish (isn't that discontinued yet?) and about the other half of the time something else not Guinness. They have the surger thing which does use a different can with no widget as you do not need the widget to degas the beer as the surger will do it. Obviously it will degas any beer, so the surger cans are the same as the draught cans just without the widget.

Anyway, I think this is all a better situation than dedicating the stout faucet to Guinness, reducing Beamish to cans (for which there is no surger option and I did get one surged guinness and found it superior to a can pour) and eliminating the rotation on the stout faucet.

I had some jackass do that upside down nonsense with a guinness can. I was like, wtf? but it turned out fine.

Later when we got into a knife fight I mentioned it to him in passing.

I've seen this surger thing at bars and even in airports for years now. IMHO, it doesn't do anything too special for the beer...I get the same result by just upending the can/bottle and dumping it into the glass as violently as possible, but the Guinness sign in the bar at least looks cool.

Except for one airport bar I went into, SPECIFICALLY because they had the sign, only to find out they no longer served Guinness, but still kept the surger around....

Place down the street has one stout faucet on which they have about half the time Beamish (isn't that discontinued yet?) and about the other half of the time something else not Guinness.

I think that's the idea behind the surger - get bars who don't want to invest in a costly nitrogen system to still offer Guinness AND get Guinness drinkers, who don't like the widget, to keep drinking Guinness.

I disagree. I think the can even includes directions.

The key is to pour it with the glass flat. Don't tip it like other beers. Just pour it was the glass flat, 2/3 way thru, wait a second, and then pour the rest in the center of the beer. easy.

Also, I wonder how this would work on other beers and what it would do?

I think that's the idea behind the surger - get bars who don't want to invest in a costly nitrogen system to still offer Guinness AND get Guinness drinkers, who don't like the widget, to keep drinking Guinness.

Also, the customer sees a fancy machine and wants to try it. Your product placement is amazing, the only beer with it's own machine.

it's got an ultrasonic transciever in the bottom. You can do the same thing to any of your homebrews by lightly carbonating them (more than about 1.5-2 volumes, and you'll get a volcano). Get an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner from the Internets somewhere. Then, like in the video here, add about 1/4" of water to the bottom, put your glass onto it, and hit the power. It's actually pretty impressive

it's got an ultrasonic transciever in the bottom. You can do the same thing to any of your homebrews by lightly carbonating them (more than about 1.5-2 volumes, and you'll get a volcano). Get an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner from the Internets somewhere. Then, like in the video here, add about 1/4" of water to the bottom, put your glass onto it, and hit the power. It's actually pretty impressive
I thought so. FWIW, I think it's transducer instead of transceiver.

Well, my point was this bar has a nitro system and stout faucet and I am glad it isn't Guinness they are using it on.

My FIL owns a big bar in Atlanta and they gave him a couple to try out, we use it quite a bit, like stated you have to use a Surger Can the beer pours flat, and it acts like a nitrogen pour, it's kinda pointless, in my opinion. Just use a regular can.

Latest posts

Back