Guiness widget removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumbo82

Reaction score
A friend gave me 8 empty Guiness bottles, but they have those little plastic nitrogen releasing widgets in them. My first instict was to toss them all out, since I already have enough bottles for several batches, but if there is a relatively simple way to remove them I figure I might as well. Anyone ever successfully removed a widget? I figured I'd throw out the question. Thanks.

Grab them with a needle nose, I have even used a scissors when ai was too lazy to go down to the basement to get the pliers.

Well they are plastic, so you could soak them in hot-boiling water, then shove some sort of rod in there and crush them... That might work

RockfordWhite said:
Well they are plastic, so you could soak them in hot-boiling water, then shove some sort of rod in there and crush them... That might work
Highly unnecessary. They're really easy to grab with a thin pair of needle-nose pliers.

The labels come right off with a quick razor blade slice down the side. The labels are just shrink-wrapped plastic. There's no glue holding onto them.

If you're looking for a challenge, you can try the wine cork removal trick:

[youtube]-00seNtmRJ0[/youtube]

Otherwise, +1 on the pliers/tweezers.

I'll use the pliers, but I might learn that wine cork removal technique as a party trick. At first I thought he was going to pour water into the bottle and then boil it to shoot the cork out with pressure. That would likely explode the bottle though. His way is much safer, quicker, and cooler (pun).

That was a cool trick. So cool that I got one of my new bottles and a new cork and pushed it to the bottom of the bottle. I think my cork was a little too big for the bottle:( My bag grabs it but then breaks. Any more brilliant ideas:rolleyes: I think it's time for another beer

Keith

If I had only known this could be done...I've tossed so many of those it's not even funny, and I really would like to use their bottles--they've got a cool shape. Oh dam, I'm going to have buy a case now and drink them just to get the bottles ;)

Back on the Guinness subject, ;) , I have also used needle nose pliers successfully. If you hold onto the bottle and swing it such that the widget gets stuck in the neck, it's very easy to grab with the pliers and pluck out.

Just don't let go of the bottle when swinging it. And don't fill the bottle up with water and shoot a bottle rocket down into the bottle.... :D

I read this and had to try it last night.

Drank an Irish Black and Tan.

Swung the bottle to get the plastic need the opening. Then, pulled it right out with a needle nose.

Great advice on this. I second the comment that I wish I new this before.

Dan

Keith,

To get your cork out:
take a sturdy cloth napkin and roll it into a tube shape with the corners making the ends.
fill the bottle most of the way with water so that it is easier to fish the cork.
slide the napkin into the bottle, fish the cork into the napkin tube, and pull it on out. it takes some trial and error, but it work work.
learned the trick from a college professor that had a habit of breaking corks in wine bottles. the only solution was to push the cork in, fish the cork, and drink the wine.

Yuri_Rage said:
Highly unnecessary. They're really easy to grab with a thin pair of needle-nose pliers.

The labels come right off with a quick razor blade slice down the side. The labels are just shrink-wrapped plastic. There's no glue holding onto them.

Yup, I actually consider Guinness bottles to be the best for reusing. Those labels leave nothing behind and the little widget is really easy to grab.

Sorry for doing the whole Jesus thing to this thread but I was wondering, what does the widget do? Also will it continue to do it to my beer? Would it be a bad thing to leave it in there? I'm just drinking a Guinness and wondering.

The widget releases nitrogen which gives it that classic foamy head. It only works when the initial pressure difference is created when you open the bottle. After that, it doesn't do anything. It would be a bad idea to leave one in you bottle if you plan to reuse it since that widget would harbor bacteria.

The widget releases nitrogen which gives it that classic foamy head. It only works when the initial pressure difference is created when you open the bottle. After that, it doesn't do anything. It would be a bad idea to leave one in you bottle if you plan to reuse it since that widget would harbor bacteria.

Not quite. They'll work with CO2 as well and are re-usable. Do a search for the patent and you'll see how they work (basically spraying out a small amount of beer through tiny holes to generate foam when the bottle is opened).

Not quite. They'll work with CO2 as well and are re-usable. Do a search for the patent and you'll see how they work (basically spraying out a small amount of beer through tiny holes to generate foam when the bottle is opened).

Re-usable? I've never heard that before. Link?

I to was just about to toss another 12 Guinness bottles, until i Googled it and came up with this thread... the bottles are great, heavy bottles. The label comes off very clean and easily, and the widget comes out waaaay easier that i expected with just some simple needle nose pliers. Probably the best bottle to reuse if you ask me.

Re-usable? I've never heard that before. Link?

The widget is just a small piece of plastic with tiny holes. The widget is full of beer, the same beer that is in the bottle. When you open a bottle of beer you release the head pressure, and the CO2 comes out of solution. When the CO2 inside the inside the widget comes out of solution, the beer is forced out of the small holes, and produces the frothy Guinness head.

If you don't believe me try this full size demo.
1. Open a beer bottle
2. Firmly place your thumb over the top and give it a shake
3. Release your thumb ever so slightly to simulate the small holes in the widget
4. Enjoy your shower of froth

TL;DR version
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=vsgNAAAAEBAJ&dq=guinness+widget

Latest posts

Back