"Guilty" confessions of a beer enthusiast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only brew in the fall, winter and spring, To make my supply last through the hot summer I will pour 1/2 a home brew with 1/2 a Bud light. Th BL will scale down an IPA to a pale ale or a stout to a porter. Works for me.

I drank Miller, bud, bud light, keystone and even my fair share of Red Dog quarts back in my wilder days. Now if I go to the store/gas station for beer I bring home PBR. (You can only Beer higher than %3.2 from the State Liquor Store in Utah) the funniest thing was that my Dad gave me a hard time about drinking Pabst for years. Would turn his nose up at it when I would buy a pitcher on a canyon ride. And always bring a six pack of bud select when he would come over to watch the game, until..... Gran Turino came out! As soon as he watched it and he saw that "Pabst is good enough for that Bad A$$ old man that Clint Eastwood played" he figured it was okay to drink! I still give him a hard time about it, and he still drinks it:)

Yeah, I love hoppy IPAs, I love malty, coffee-rich stouts, I love craft brews in general. And I love Labatt and Molson. I drink Mich Ultra when I am at my BILs house and thats what's in the fridge. Beer to me is like food...I love a good, home-cooked traditional Mexican meal, but sometimes Taco Bell really hits the spot.

I've always liked "fancier" beer. Even as a kid I was trying to get someone to buy me Michelob dark instead of more typical BMC. I especially loved German beers.
But I have yet to drink a Belgian beer that I liked.

Every time I go home my dad has a fridge full of Milwaulkees Best, and I'll sit and drink that with him all night. There's also nothing quite like a super cold High Life while floating around in a tube at the lake.

My favorite swill is Steel Reserve. It tastes awful but it brings me back to my high school days where it was all about bang for your buck.

Did I say high school? I meant the days shortly after I turned 21, of course. :cross:

So here is a story for you all. After watching Beer Wars (no comment on the movie) my buddy and I decided to have a blind BMC tasting of our own. We got a sixer of each in cans. We first did a tasting directly from the can in a bag and amazingly we were able to guess each correctly. (based mostly on level of aluminum flavor) we then poured each into a glass and tasted. We couldn't tell the difference and actually both mixed all three up. The general consensus was we liked Coors Light the best.
End of story

I have 2 guilty pleasure beers, well 3. For beer pong I use Natty Ice. At $5.50 a tall boy six pack you can't do much better when trying to get drunk. My go to American lager is the good ol' Vitamin R aka Rainier, aka Ron-Yay if you're feeling fancy. Lastly if I am eating Mexican at my favorite spot in town I have to have a fishbowl of Dos Eques Negro.

The best beer I've ever had was an ice cold Hamm's. That was a long, long time ago - 32 years to be exact. I still remember how good that beer tasted to this day!

I like a Tsingtao with Chinese food. And a Negro Modelo with Mexican.

Thanks you guys,I'm making another stop after the UPS store to pick out some beer,& it's all y'alls fault!! ;):cross:

I love a bucket of ice-cold Rolling Rock on a hot summer day in Texas... it just hits the spot.

I went to college, and back then (and now, sometimes) it was how much you drank, not what you drank. So if I'm drinking to get drunk, I'll pound down some Miller Lite and love every drop while I'm doing it. I love a good beer, but I'm not above anything.

unionrdr said:
Thanks you guys,I'm making another stop after the UPS store to pick out some beer,& it's all y'alls fault!! ;):cross:

You're welcome. Always happy to help someone enjoy a brew.

So did you buy snobby or yella n fizzy?

I like Corona.....But only in Mexico,that is all. Tequila helps the lack of flavor i find.Haaa

Ok, I enjoy fine beers of all sorts, and don't mind spending a house payment on good brews when given the chance and am in the mood. But occasionally during a heat wave there is nothing better in my book than to tie into a nice tall 24oz PBR over ice.......I swear, I will be dog tired after a day doing chores or coming home from work, and this will actually rehydrate me and give me some carbs to actually function for the rest of the day. I've actually pulled up a stool at bars and ordered beers with a pint of ice on the side.

Painty said:
I like Corona.....But only in Mexico,that is all. Tequila helps the lack of flavor i find.Haaa

Ever have a "killer corona"? Its a corona with a shot of Bacardi limon in it. Its awesome, and really helps you do amazing things. I always wanted to do a backflip, but never had the courage.

Last summer after about 5 KC's at my brothers house, I finally got the nerve. First attempt, I slipped off the board. When I came up, my mom, dad, two brothers, wife, 2 kids, and 2 nephews were all standing at the side of the pool ready to jump in and save me. They thought I hit my face on the board and drowned. Second attempt, belly flop, but I didn't feel a thing. Third attempt, went too far and landed on my back. 4th attempt, nailed it, which I thank the Killer Corona for.

mikeysab said:
Ever have a "killer corona"? Its a corona with a shot of Bacardi limon in it. Its awesome, and really helps you do amazing things. I always wanted to do a backflip, but never had the courage.

We've used tequila (with training wheels) but I'm thinking Bacardi will have the edge...

My guilty pleasure go to beer, especially between brew batches, is ice cold Pabst Blue Ribbon! Give me a fridge of 16oz and I'm in Heaven. I'm not trendy, just old school. I don't consider myself a snob, but kinda feel like one if offered a Coors Light. Does nothing for me, sorry. Happy Brewing and Holidays!

While my beer horizons have greatly expanded into micro/nano's since homebrewing, I still enjoy some of the same beers I used to. Just much less often. Beer geek, not a beer snob.

I still occasionally drink Rolling Rock, Killians, Grain Belt Premo, Newcastle, Guinness, Corona, and most everything Leinies brews (except Berry Weiss, yuck). Even Sunset Wheat hits the spot sometimes (go ahead and flame me with your fruity pebbles jokes).

Yeah - I'll have to agree with jpsloan on that too. I actually like Michelob. Though my non-craft choices usually show up in the craft section in many dives.

Sam Adams Boston Lager
Yuengling Lager (affectionately known to many as just 'lager' (and no one carries premium))

I'm curious as to what our foreign members consider "guilty". I try to sneak the next two in whenever I can but I know they carry the same stigma as BMC stateside.

Fosters oil can
Warsteiner

My College beer preference was Keystone Light.
This was my ideal get drunk, light hang over, party beer.
We could usually scratch together enough quarters to buy a $8 case every week.
I usually have this on hand to give to my old college buddies and relatives who haven't switched over to the dark side.

I will drink Bud at any and all sporting events. Unless I am sitting in the box then I will take whatever is best for free, but probably already had a few Buds during the tailgate.

My friend who brews for Laurelwood here in Portland had us do a challenge while a bunch of us were on a rafting trip. He called it the "Clear Beer Challenge." He got 17 different clear beers ranging from Czechvar and Heineken and Red Stripe to Steel Reserve, Coors Light, PBR, and St. Pauli Girl. It was a blind tasting and we either said we liked it or not. At the end, if you were the only one that liked a particular beer, you had to drink the rest of it. If no one liked it, we dumped it. What we found out is that after a couple fizzy light beers, it is hard to taste the difference between them. I also found out that I like Busch. I will get a 12-pack of 16oz Busch when I am feeling cheap nowadays. By the way--the only one that no one liked was Coors Lite. It was terrible!!!!

Tecate in a can is the only beer to drink in the shower.
I had a Paulaner Marzen in the shower a few months ago. It was at the end of an all-day hike, so anything was going to taste good, but I have to say, next time I might go with a Mexican lager. The best thing about liking Mexican beer, at least in this part of the country, is that you can get it at any liquor store, no matter how limited the selection.

I don't enjoy BMC products but I like rudeness even less. I think if someone offers you a beer it's rude not to take it, unless of course you are driving or have some other very legit reason not to drink.

I rarely get the time to go out to a bar with friends but when I do we usually take turns buying pitchers. Most guys I know will come back with Bud Light because it's cheap and they love it. And I drink it, and I enjoy it. Not because I like Bud Light (I think it tastes like lightly hopped urine mixed with water) but because I enjoy spending the time with my friends. It's a social thing. I've actually turned a lot of people on to better beers by drinking BMC with them and then buying the next round with something I like better. But in any case, beer is good and you should drink whatever's offered.

My guilty confession is Corona with lime. Good stuff.

dudasaj said:
Everyday beers... Amber Lagers:
Karl Strauss in San Diego
Yuengling (now that I live in PA)
Sam Adams or Shiner

Why is sam adams a guilty confession? Boston lager is awesome

I drink Schmidt's, High Life, Yuengling and the occasional PBR. I'm sure there is more I drink that I forgot to mention.

Of course I drink craft brew too. But I do have to admit that for some reason free beer does taste better than when I pay for it. ;)

Back