guestion on fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeTrott

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing my first non kit beer. It is a pumpkin ale and I purchased all.fresh ingredients except for the pumpkin and malt extract. I pitched my yeast at about 65degrees and put the bucket on a copper tun. Normally my batches start kicking within 6 hours and bubble like mad for 15. This batch didn't start kicking for almost 24 hours and had a steady 30 bubbles per minute for 3 days. Today is day 4 and the bubbles are coming about 1 a minute. Is this ok or should I swirl the bucket?

brettg20 said:
Don't go by the bubbles, wait 2 weeks and then check the gravity.

+1 like Brett said never judge your fermentation by the bubbles. I had my first brew all grain imperial IPA bubble for 4 weeks... Keep a eye on your gravity, once you take two readings a week apart and they stay the same your good to go (that is how I check my fermentation)

I had a German Dunkelwiezen I brewed last year that never bubbled out of the air lock. All I could figure is that the lid on the bucket was loose enough to let the gasses out. I let it sit for 14 days and then opened it up to check the gravity. There was a gooey ring around the bucket sides from a fallen krausen, and the FG was spot on. It was a very yummy beer.

So don't judge by the bubbles in the fermenter. We've all been there, so trust me... it's fine. :)

Gary

My bucket has a decent amount of headspace(7 gallon) bucket. It takes a decent time before the gases purge out the air and then come out the airlock.

Latest posts

Back