Growth in a bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jshine42

Reaction score
I wanted to alleviate some fears of mine (and my wifes as she tried a sip). I bottled my Belgian Wit to bottles last week and today I threw my first into the fridge. It tasted nice and light with a very carbonated start to the glass. I poured out the first half (22oz) and it was great. But when I went back to pour the 2nd half of the bottle some black chunks came out in my glass. Upon further inspection of the bottle, there was a growth at the bottom and one piece on the side of the bottle on the inside.
I also inspected a number of other bottles from the batch and they don't have this same growth. I'm suspecting it (this bottle) didn't get cleaned as good as it could have. I bottle washed good but I suspect something was left over.
Here's my question. Am I going to start Puking? Not sure what all that was but I wanted to put it to smarter heads than I.

Your not talking about the yeast sediment,from bottle conditoning are you?

bottle carbing will have a mini trub in the bottle as long as there is not a ring around the neck of the bottle and a sour taste you will be fine. there is nothing in an infected (sour) beer that will make you ill. look into sour beers = bacteria. mmmm makes some yummy beers! just need time to age out. BUT I don't think this is your case. just bottle carbed yeasty chunks. (loaded with b vitamins) good to prevent hangover on over indulgence of home brew!

Be more gentle with your bottles save the last quarter inch, i usually swirl it and dump into my glass taking a vitamin B shot from it after i drank the beer. Then rinse the bottle out good since i reuse them.

No it wasn't the yeast sediment. its a black growth at the bottom this is my 2nd batch of beer. I did have 2 oz of bitter orange peel in the final boil so it already has a "sour" taste just like a pre-oranged drink. I did open a 2nd bottle and there wasn't the same growth at the bottom. I'm thinking just this one bottle had it. Even if it is a bit sour I'm one that likes that fermented ales so no loss for me.

a lot of higher filamentous fungi love eating yeast, if you leave a coating at the bottom of your bottles you end up with some pretty interesting looking stuff.

Odds are you didn't clean it well enough. I've found mold in the bottom of bottles before after pouring out the contents. I avoid the mold, but never had any problems from the drinking the beer on top of it.

Odds are you didn't clean it well enough. I've found mold in the bottom of bottles before after pouring out the contents. I avoid the mold, but never had any problems from the drinking the beer on top of it.

That's what I was thinking after reviewing the few bottles I've opened and I chekced a few others that were aging. I have a bottle washer but time for a bottle brush to get the junk outa this one. I'd love to keg but alas the financies prevent it. I'd rather brew more beer than spend the cash on a keg system.

Back