Growler Tips? sealing, serving, etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJWP

Reaction score
I've got some half gallon growlers laying around that I plan on using for taking some beer to parties and such without the need to have empty bottles around. I'm set up with the homemade beergun that is popular on these forums (racking cane and stopper attached to cobra tap - I'd link to the post but am on my blackberry and its a PITA)
So a couple of questions:

1. What is the best way to seal the growler cap? I've seen brewerys use a shrink wrap film that seals by blowing a heat gun thing at it ( Think hair dryer) anyone know where tp get one of these?
I'm not concerned with adding more co2, I just want to stop any leakage while transporting (4 or 5 hour road trips possibly). Obviously a swing top growler would be ideal but I don't have any
2. Is there a trick to pouring? When I pick up a growler at the local brewpub and pour at home it comes out in such a wide stream that I end up with at least half a glass of foam.
3. Mostly I'm talking ab drinking the contents within a few hours, biut how long can I safely expect it to keep? (I'm thinking for giving a growler as a gift, etc)

Thanks all

What you are referring to as a growler here sounds like just a big glass jug, like this:

Growler_LCB.jpg

A proper "growler" has a re-sealable flip-top on it like this:

growler.jpg

From what I have read, you do NOT want to seal up the one at the top. Those jugs are not made to handle pressure, so sealing them means you risk one exploding. The flip-top kind is meant to handle pressure.

Having said that, you can get a heat gun at a hardware store if you want to try it out. They are often used for stripping paint off of things.

For pouring, just pour slowly into an angled glass to avoid a lot of chruning and foaming.

Yep, shrink wrap works great. If you are drinking it within about 10 hours, no need for anything other than the cap.

There are not pouring tricks. Just angle the glass and try to get a constant straight stream.

The heat shrink is probably more of a open container law sort of thing. I doubt it provides any sort of seal.

The wrap around the cap is for the law. The brewery has to put it on so that the cops can tell whether someone has an open container or not. It has NOTHING to do with sealing the beer. I would just pour the beer carefully and slowly into the growler, and twist the cap on firmly. It should hold very well until you get there, unless you are messing around with it.

Any suggestions for someone who wants to bottle ferment in a growler/jug? Bad idea? If not, any suggestions on how to proceed?

Any suggestions for someone who wants to bottle ferment in a growler/jug? Bad idea? If not, any suggestions on how to proceed?

Are you talking about actually fermenting in the growler or bottle-conditioning/carbonating in a growler?

If you really mean fermenting, any glass or suitable plastic container will do. Just put an airlock on it and wait.

If you are talking about carbonating in a growler, you would be fine in a swing top growler (it's just a large, pressure tolerant bottle.) If you just have a big glass jug (like the first pic I posted), you should not carbonate in those. They are not meant to handle pressure and would likely break from the strain.

My local brew pub does a wrap or two of electrical tape.. works well for me till i get home and have my way with it. actually just finished up the last two pints from the jug i got last night.

I am interested in utilizing growlers for bottle conditioning (for ease of handling for friends). Obviously, it is an option, as Rogue put Dead Guy in one (metal cap). I've read a little about having to pony these with injected CO2.

Any thoughts on bottle conditioning with a growler?

Don't risk it. There are enough stories on here of the bottoms of peoples' growlers flying off. Just bottle it in regular ones, or those good growlers.

EDIT: By good growlers, I meant the ones that Walker posted, with the handles and what such. Those are meant to carbonate in, the glass jug style are not. They are only meant to hold beer at the pressure that it's served at. They cannot withstand the pressure of the CO2 inside the bottle before it dissolves into the beer.

Haha that is funny because I am conditioning in a glass growler right now going on 2 weeks....

Of course I'm planning on opening it soon before said growler explodes...:ban:

I've bottled several batches in growlers and my local brew shop which has been around for 20 years said it was fine as long as you get new caps to make sure your seal is good. You can carbonate in them and be fine. Never had a problem.

Back