Growler options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPP33

Reaction score
So I won free beer for a year from a local brewery. The deal is one growler per month for one year, so I’m looking at 12 free growler fills. They’ll supply a typical glass jug style growler but I’m thinking about making an investment into a nicer growler that won’t require me to drink it all in one sitting the same day it’s poured to enjoy it at it’s best. Are the growlers that can utilize CO2 (man can, ukeg, etc) really as effective as a keg or are they just fancy short term storage containers? It’d be nice if I could just get them to fill my 3 gal corney twice but my guess is they are banking on me coming in for a fill and buying a beer while I’m there so just two visits isn’t in their best interest. I’d make the investment if it’ll make those 6 gallons I’m getting more enjoyable and give me a cool and useful container for transport. Since I keg taking beer to parties is a bit of a PITA.

I own a uKeg and love it. Are they as effective as a keg? Yes in terms of storing and preserving the beer within them under constant co2 pressure without having to expose them to open air. No if you're wanting to force carb homebrew. I think it's a worthwhile investment for beer drinkers as you are basically investing in a lifetime product you'll always be able to use.

Side note co2 cartridges are dirt cheap

I just got a YaeBrew 64oz Homebrew Keg system for my birthday. I haven't tried it out yet, but it looks promising. It isn't recommended to force carb beer, but it is supposed to keep it fresher longer. I also have a Stanley stainless vacuum growler. It keeps beer carbonated for at least a week without opening it. Once I open it, I usually drink the 4 pints over a few days. The last pint is usually flat.

I have one of these my wife got me a few years ago. It is an awesome growler for what you are looking for although you will probably need to drink the beer within a few days to enjoy the freshness from the brewery. I am not sure of anything else that would keep it carbonated after you open it. Most breweries love this growler when I bring it in for fills too.

https://www.personalcreations.com/p...earch&viewpos=1&ratings=4.48390000&reviews=62

I’m not looking to carbonate in it, just something that’ll replace the newly created head space with pressurized CO2 each time I pour a beer. Thanks for the input guys.

I have a yaebrew mini keg with the ball lock adaptor screw on lid. It has kept beers carbonated and fresh for 2 weeks for me. Haven't had any last longer than that just because I drank them

Back