Growler Laws

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockeyhunter99

Reaction score
anybody know where to look for Growler laws? i have tried a basic search on google and on here but i can't find anything specific for North Dakota. (my state). I bought my first growler from a small brewery in Northern Minnesota and they said it can only be filled from the brewery on the label? :confused:

Would like some light shed on this topic

Wow! Talk about a nanny-state. I'd just remove the label...;) Odds are your state doesn't have such sillyness, I wouldn't worry about it. If you take it somewhere to get filled and they tell you about some law...then you'll know. They'll probably just fill it no questions asked!

That's the way it is for the people here in pa as well. It's pretty lame.. I am getting really sick of the nanny state...

Here in CA the labeling on the growler has to reflect the contents. So only beer from the same brewery can be put inside. The stupidest part of the law is that if you have a growler specific to one particular beer (Stone has made Arrogant Bastard-branded growlers in the past) you can only fill it with that beer, not even any others by the same brewery. It's annoying to say the least, but I enjoy collecting the growlers from different breweries, so I'm not too upset about having to get a new growler when I visit a new brewery.

Here in Portland its just up to the brewery. Most of them don't care. But a few around here want to be dicks lol

Here in Michigan you never know and I can never remember who does what. Some places will only fill their own, some will place a sticker with their name over whatever is imprinted on the bottle, some will fill whatever growler you bring in. It is a PIA I've talked to the owners and no one can point to any law. I think the ones that wont fill any growler but their own are afraid people will bring in 65oz growlers, the ones that sticker are unsure what the law is, and the ones that fill anything are cool.

I have a few unmarked brown growlers... wonder if that works?

Idaho is cool... I've never had an issue at all anywhere.

Latest posts

Back