Growler as secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublebogey10

Reaction score
Potentially stupid question from a noob here (or is that redundant considering the forum?)
I have a number of these growlers from various brewpubs. Was wondering if it was possible to use these as a secondary. Just thinking about ways to brew a batch and after a week or two in primary, attempting different mixtures of dry-hopping or fruit additions or whatever. Basically to try different variations off one batch.
Obviously I wouldn't want to use a seal cap that you would normally use with these but would a stopper with an airlock be sufficient? If so, anyone have an idea of what size of a stopper?
Is this possible? Is this stupid?

I don't see why not. The only issue I can see has to do with racking in and out of them. I don't even know if the mini autosiphon we use for racking into and out of gallon wine jugs would work with the relatively narrow necks of a growler.

I use a few 1-gallon jugs to do exactly what you want to do. These seem a little small, but I would think you could experiment in the same way I do.

The pic says size #6 stopper, by the way.

B

The pic says size #6 stopper, by the way.

B

Well, I suppose it's good to know that the stupid part of my question wasn't the idea itself but rather not reading the product description on the site I linked to!

Thanks!

As long as you have an airlock, it will just be a mini glass carboy.

I use 1 gallon jugs for meads and I always use a stopper that's a half size larger then recommended (I use a #6.5 instead of #6). This is because I have noticed when using a #6 size stopper it is really close to getting pushed into the bottle when installing the airlock; especially when it is slippery with sanitizer. I also use a regular old ranking cane instead of an autosiphon.

I just did this! I took a 1 gallon growler and racked 1 gallon of the SWMBO WIT onto 1lb of fresh strawberries and it came out awesome. This is a great way to break out a small experimental batch and still have 4+ gallons of a solid beer. The SWMBO WIT will now probably be the SWMBO Strawberry WIT on future batches. She like it a lot!

Back