Growing/processing conditions and acid levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCSDhops

Reaction score
I received lab results back for some first year Cascade cones with some puzzling results.

Cascade (dry ~ 11% moisture)

Alpha acids 13.49 %
Beta acids 5.90
Cohumulone 55.44 % of total #-acids
Colupulone 46.36 % of total ß-acids
Hop Essential Oils 1.2 mL/100g

I realize that first year plants can be finicky and levels can be out of whack. With that said beta acids and essential oils seem to fall into variety spec but the alpha acids are a different story. Nothing would leave me to believe that these are not Cascade plants. The rhizomes were ordered from a known and recommended online supplier. The sample was taken from at least 10 -15 plants.

It leads me to the broader question of what sort or factors can control/effect acid levels? Does soil make up, water, fertilizer, etc have a profound effect on acid levels? Does the harvesting and drying process also have the ability to manipulate acid levels in the cones?

Your growing/drying conditions can drop alpha levels but not increase them, at least to my knowledge.

Either those aren't cascade or they screwed up the test.

Have you asked the lab what they think is going on?

Latest posts

Back