Growing in Northern Indiana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJR

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm in Northwest Indiana, and I'm looking forward to spring to start my hop garden. I want them for the obvious reason, and my 14 year old son wants them for tea. We'll just have to arm wrestle over them, I guess. :ban:

I'm completely new to hops growing, but not to gardening in general. That being said, what are good varieties to grow in this area? I use a lot of Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, plus some Magnum.

Also, will there be a significant difference in flavor profiles growing them in Indiana, as opposed to traditional hop-growing areas like the Pacific Northwest?

Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

I'm certain someone local will chime in, but if your son wants tea hops, best he track down a rhizome for it. Tea hops have very low alpha acids levels.

Cascade grows anywhere, but Amarillo has not been released. Magnum and Nugget are supposed to be other good beginner's hops.

I live in Hammond and have had success with Chinook, Magnum, Cascade, Perle and Mt Hood. I've had marginal success with Goldings, Fuggles and Tettenagers, low yield and spider mite issues. I plan on moving the last 3 to my sons yard and see what happens.

tom

Latest posts

Back