Growing Hops in New England

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wigs

Reaction score
Hi All. I'm still fairly new to homebrewing, and brand new to growing hops. I just received a couple Cascade rhizomes in the mail, and realizing now that I have no idea where to start. I'm a little overwhelmed by all the threads on here, and how technical some of them get. Can anyone recommend a good thread on starting out? A step by step guide would be great. Also, obviously still too cold to plant anytime soon, but when is it safe to plant them (in New England), and what should I do with them from now until I do plant them?

Thanks!

Oops! Missed that one! Sorry, didn't realize there were "sticky" threads, makes a lot of sense. Cool, so I'll start there. Thanks.

If anyone has any specific suggestions of pages, instructions, etc. specifically targeted at growing hops in New England (Mass.), please do share.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I usually plant mine in late april/early may. Sometimes I start them in early april indoors in a 5 gallon bucket I keep in a very sunny window. I then transfer them outside in late may when its warm enough and they have started to sprout.

Cascades do pretty well for me. I am in the Boston area.

I usually plant mine in late april/early may. Sometimes I start them in early april indoors in a 5 gallon bucket I keep in a very sunny window. I then transfer them outside in late may when its warm enough and they have started to sprout.

Cascades do pretty well for me. I am in the Boston area.

Excellent, thanks. I'm North of Boston, so I'll try that schedule and plant them inside soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back