growing hops in Cincinnati

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phish2160

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience growing hops in cincy? If so is it a good climate? Good soil?

i've grown in both erie and pittsburgh pa. can't speak for your particular soil but climate should be close to mine and my cascades and centennial grew really well.

I grow chinook, cascade, and mount hood. They all do well.
I'd probably give you rhizomes in the spring if you remind me. =)

I grow chinook, cascade, and mount hood. They all do well.
I'd probably give you rhizomes in the spring if you remind me. =)

I'm sure this info is out there somewhere, but since I just stumbled on this thread, how often do you have to water and tend to your hops? I'd love to grow some on my family's farm but I wouldn't be able visit that often.

I'm sure this info is out there somewhere, but since I just stumbled on this thread, how often do you have to water and tend to your hops? I'd love to grow some on my family's farm but I wouldn't be able visit that often.

Unless you're growing on very sandy soils, you really have nothing to worry about. Even during their first year you really should not have water more than once a week. In Ohio, Spring is usually kind to us with ample rainfall and being that you're just trying to make sure they don't 'dry up', if you get out once a week you'll be fine.

Once Summer comes they should have a decent enough root system developed to be able to withstand a week without water. Just make sure to amend the soil with some nice organic matter which will hold water well along with supplying valuable nutrients.

Year two and onward, they can probably fend for themselves unless we go a month or so without rainfall as the big tap roots are probably to a depth of about 2 feet by then. I've only had to water mature crowns maybe 4-5 times during very dry Summers and have had great results. I do have heavy clay which tends to hold a lot of water though. Better to water with a light hand rather than a heavy one. Have fun.

Thanks. I may give it a try this year just for the heck of it. Not sure I can even make it to the farm once a week so I might try one or two plants at my house.

My Cascade and Mt. Hood Hops grow really well in NE Ohio. I've seen threads on here where people made automatic waters that worked pretty well. Example: Milk jugs and pin holes through the bottom (low tech and inexpensive). That may help while you are away.

Well I just found out the area I live in has a community garden that I can get a plot on. So maybe I'll give it a go there...Now I have to plan how I'm going to build a pergola.

Back