Growing Hops in Charlotte

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not seen them sprout of old dry bines before. All mine come from the ground but then this is the longest I have left last year's in place before removing.

I'll look to see if I have any when I take them out

Nope. Just cleared the yard. No new growth on old plants. Nothing poking up above the ground cover either.

I have some sprouting out of two pots used only for decoration that have been out for a couple weeks now

I’m over in South Carolina by Laurens, y’all answered 2 questions I had!
1- what kind grows best here
2 what to plant in a certain area that drains really well but most of the water from that part of the yard runs through there and down the hill.
Thank you

Sheesh. Time to start cutting already.
20200321_113225.jpeg

For what it is worth, I have tried to grow centennial hops every season since 2017 and have had them not last a season. I am trying again this year in a new spot and then giving up if they dont make it. I have a cascade hill and a chinook hill and they are doing great.

I haven't done anything yet either.

First I will remove the old dry bines.
This year I plan to trim all of the initial shoots once they emerge from the ground cover.

I'll be waiting until that first batch of shoots is around 3-4 inches to trim.
I'll try to limit the second shoots to about 3 per plant that I will allow to grow.
So do you cut off the shoots to just have 3 or 4 ? I have a hop plant that i've had for 3 years and it has a bunch of sprouts ,like probably 20 , so should i cut all of them off but a few?

So do you cut off the shoots to just have 3 or 4 ? I have a hop plant that i've had for 3 years and it has a bunch of sprouts ,like probably 20 , so should i cut all of them off but a few?
I tried that last year and it seems like they just keep sprouting more and more ,and i can't keep them all cut off.plus the root ball is probably a foot by eighteen inches so that seems like alot of roots to just cut back to 3 or four vines?

My understanding is that you should cut all of them back because the first bull runners are hollow and don't produce as much. In NC this is probably double true since we are going to have a long growing season compared to Pacific northwest.

I cut back everything and let 3-4 go from the second growth last year, and it worked out.

I am no expert, so please check that out before you proceed.

My understanding is that you should cut all of them back because the first bull runners are hollow and don't produce as much. In NC this is probably double true since we are going to have a long growing season compared to Pacific northwest.

I cut back everything and let 3-4 go from the second growth last year, and it worked out.

I am no expert, so please check that out before you proceed.

20200408_152203_resized.jpg

So if it looks like this already i should cut all this off at the ground and then use 3 or 4 shoots that come back out? what if more then 3 or 4 keep coming up , do i keep those cut back? I did cut a few of these off when they first came up but then there was so many?

Attachments

• 20200407_191459.jpg
    20200407_191459.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 15
Back