Growing Hops in AZ.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
summer will be the ultimate test. Just keep those roots cool, mulch on top of the dirt and plenty of water

summer will be the ultimate test. Just keep those roots cool, mulch on top of the dirt and plenty of water

Thanks for the advice. Have you tried growing hops down in Sierra Vista? If so, how'd they do?

I have mine in planters so keeping the roots cool maybe an issue come the summer months.

I've heard from another Tucson brewer that is on his 2nd or 3rd year and has been having great luck growing 10 different varieties. So, I know it can be done down here.

Wow. Consider me interested. I've thought about growing some, but the summers have discouraged me. Well, that and space...

Apollo, I figured they're just plants after all, and plants to grow here if watered well enough despite the heat. At $4.50-$5 per rhizome (from freshops.com), I can't imagine why you wouldn't attempt it. I'm sure there's still plenty of time to get them in the ground. Give it a shot!

Also, if you're not a member of the Tucson Homebrew Club, you should def. check it out. Lots of fun, great brewers, great people. Checkout tucsonhomebrewclub.com for more info.

I have 4th year bines. They will grow, but your hop cones will be smaller than those in the PAC-NW.

We just don't have as many hours of daylight as they do in the North.

I have 4th year bines. They will grow, but your hop cones will be smaller than those in the PAC-NW.

We just don't have as many hours of daylight as they do in the North.

Any idea how this affects the AA%, etc.? Are they usable?

I must admit I am intrigued by growing hops at home... I figured SoAZ is just too derned hot to grow them and never tried.

My hops are struggling. The Cascade never really took off. The bines I trained would end up shriveling up and dieing. It looks more like a little bush.

The Magnum's main bine stopped growing because some hail took out the tip. It's been sending new shoots up, which I have been training. No cones though.

My aunt's hops have quite a few little cones on them. They are small and don't have any resin to them.

My FIL's Cascade was moved into the shade where it shot up like a weed. Still no cones though.

My hops are struggling. The Cascade never really took off. The bines I trained would end up shriveling up and dieing. It looks more like a little bush.

The Magnum's main bine stopped growing because some hail took out the tip. It's been sending new shoots up, which I have been training. No cones though.

My aunt's hops have quite a few little cones on them. They are small and don't have any resin to them.

My FIL's Cascade was moved into the shade where it shot up like a weed. Still no cones though.

I had similar issues when I tried growing them in Texas. They'll do a little better the next couple years if you keep them up. However, the late summer heat would dry up my cones before they were mature.

In my gallery I have a couple of pics of my Hop plants from last year. The Cascade bine did produce some very small cones in late June (as I recall) but withered in the heat in late July. This year I did nothing with them and simply cut them back in an attempt to get stronger roots. But then again, I don't have a green thumb and have no clue if this will help or not.

im ;ooking at the harvest for my first year vines. you can check them out here

http://macshops.blogspot.com/

ill upload some new photos soon.

there might be a trick that i inadvertently stumbled across. dont try to grow them in summer wait, trim the back and let them go wild in late August.

I let them go a little longer but I think I should have harvested . It seems that at different times they are ripe on different sections of the vine. I just need to take them when they are ready. I'm all set for this year. year 3 should be the best from what I understand.

I purchased two Cascade Rhizomes back in May. Everyone I know has told me I probably won't get cones for the first few years, but I beg to differ! Both Bines are loaded and I went as far as picking a cone to find it full of sticky yellow Lupulin. They smell GREAT!:mug:

IMG_1779.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

I started growing some Cascade and Magnum this year in Tucson. I just have a small patio, so I put up about a 6 foot tall piece of lattice against a brick wall.

Growth started really slowly for the first few months, but I installed drip irrigation in June and since then the Cascade have gone crazy. I wasn't expecting a yield at all, but it looks like I might at least have enough for a batch of something.

The Magnum hops have a couple good bines going, but I'm not sure if I'll see any cones on them.

These are the Cascade.

hops2-55923.jpg

hops1-55924.jpg

I just moved to Tempe from the Columbia valley (Mecca of hop growing) with a couple of Columbus rhizomes. I didn't get them planted until may 25th and only one vine survived. Currently it's about 5 feet tall and just barely started budding. It gets about 5 hours of sun

Sorry sent last post before finished. 5 hours of sun a day and the leaves are staring to get brown. I think I'm going to move them in the shade or should I just let them go? It is 114 today?

@LewyBrewy: I am growing the Cascades under my porch so they are getting about 6 hours of full sun starting at 6:00 to about 12:00.They are in full shade for the duration of the day. I give them a good soaking around 8:00pm and have had no problems with browning. Of course we are about 5 to 10 degrees cooler here in Tucson.

Back