growing hops from rooftop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeZ

Reaction score
Hey, I am thinking about starting a mini urban hop farm from the roof of my building. I've got a 5 story sunny east exposure to work with. Do you think it would be possible to grow in big containers on the roof and let them drape down the side of the building?

Also, where could i find some rhizomes?

Thanks!
Mike

I know nothing about hops, but it sounds like a really cool idea! If you do try this, I would be curious as to how it works

They would try to grow back up themselves, and would end up tangled all to hell (but maybe still workable)

No way to grow them from the ground up?

good to know. i could grow them from the ground up instead, thought it might be easier from the roof if they would go downwards though.

Just placed my order on nikobrew.com can't wait till march!!

If you don't want to go too high, you might do some angled trellises.

We just bought a house and living on community water, we have restrictions on watering outside plants. So, I'm planning on setting up some rain barrels for water and growing container hops kind of like you're thinking.

Glad to hear it. Hops Grow UP.......persistently.

Grown from the ground.....my GOD I am jealous.

I employ the "play out some line" method, letting out more line when the bines have reached the roof.

If yours ever reach the roof.......one bine would supply an entire years worth of hops!!;)

I do not think that they will cooperate with growing down. Maybe if the pot is upside down! I would just build a trellis. I have had good luck with cascade in a pot definitely can be done.

Thanks for all the input - I think that home made earth boxes are the way to go. I will try these for my hot pepper crop this year too.

I am excited to see how well the hops do with 5 stories of climbing space, keep an eye out for my grow thread when i get my rhizomes in March.

Thanks for all the input - I think that home made earth boxes are the way to go. I will try these for my hot pepper crop this year too..

That's how I do my peppers! Tried the 7 pot, scorpion or Bhut Jolokia yet?:eek:

I am excited to see how well the hops do with 5 stories of climbing space, keep an eye out for my grow thread when i get my rhizomes in March.

This year will be.....well......pretty OK.

Not to be discouraging, I was just disapointed my first year.

My 2nd year Cascade outperformed the 1st year bines by at least 400%......

No joke,

The first year, the bines establish themselves, and if you are lucky, produce a pitiful amount of cones.

2nd year is where the rubber meets the road.

I haven't gotten my hands on any specialty seeds yet, mostly just grow standard carribean reds, or chocolate habs.

Where do you get you seeds from? I'd love to get some ridiculous peppers going.

My 2nd year Cascade outperformed the 1st year bines by at least 400%.....
2nd year is where the rubber meets the road.

i am no end of excited to here this. I got more then i had hoped year one (though they were weak bittering).

There is a thread on here, I think about this topic. If not, I saw it somewhere.

Latest posts

Back