Growing apples in AZ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfstar

Reaction score
Anyone have luck growing apples in in southern az? I am west of Stanfield, About 4 miles from the Sonoran Desert Monument Park. One book I picked up suggested a few varieties, Anna, Dorsette Goldens and Ein Sheimer. Our summers are pretty Hellish, our winters see quite a few hard freezes (last year was particularly bad).

I may not be qualified to answer since I am one state over in New Mexico and haven't had apple trees since I left Washington state. However, I have seen some success with apples and peaches over here. I have seen some professional orchards in the mountains, but their apples are small compared to what I used to grow in Washington.

I believe apples are doable for you. Just make sure to water them a lot in the summer.
Frost during budding is the real crop killer. Perhaps you can create a make shift smudge pot. I have even heard of people covering their trees with blankets.

Birds and deer will love your apples. So you may want to take precautions against those as well.

Back