Grilled Pineapple IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berheidebrau

Reaction score
Looking to to grilled pineapple IPA...struggling with adding grilled Pineapple to secondary vs adding to boil...pipeworks grillz golden strong ale did it in boil, though I regretfully did not have the opposite to taste it. A lot of stuff I read says adding later equals bad...thoughts?

If it were me I would just do the secondary. The risk of adding to the secondary is introducing and infection. I would freeze it to break the cell walls of the pineapple and then throw it in a blender and then boil for 10 min to make sure you kill everything and then confidently put it in the secondary and expect great results.

also a great split batch opportunity.

Pasteurize pineapple in fine mesh bag in 180° water for ten minutes, add to secondary.

Depends on your IPA and when you add it.
If it's fairly big, >7%, and fermented, you don't need to worry much about me infection.
I'd add 1/3 at 10 minutes left in your boil, then add 2/3 to dry-apple once primary fermentation is done.

Is there really a need to boil it? Pasteurize (High) would probably kill 99% of all the bacteria. I've heard that fruit tend to change its taste after boiling.

Back