Gremlin's in my MASH tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranger13

Reaction score
OK this one I can not figure out at all. I brewed a batch out of radical brewing. It was the 1776 Porter. The OG should have been around 1.063. (13.5lbs grain, 4.5lbs of each amber,brown, and English Pale malt. What I got after the boil was 1.045 with 5.5gals of wort. The was not good 50%EFF. So I brewed it two more time and got even lower EFF. I do not get it at all. So I brewed a Pale Ale yesterday and got 30% EFF, I am going the wrong way with my EFF and nothing I have done has changed. I was getting about 71-77% EFF when I first started All Grain but I am going down hill now. Please help if anybody has anything for me.:tank:

I forgot to tell you what kink of setup I am mashing with. I use a 10 gal round cooler with a bazzzuca tube in the bottem. I have tried to Fly sparge and batch sparge and there is no differance seen.

Thanks again

I though of that one and it is right on. I have to digital ones and a glass one and they read within 1 deg from one another.

Pay attention to the following items.

Volumes for measurement are accurate?
Grain is crushed properly?
Mash temps are right on and held for the proper time and stiring during mash?
Sparging with the correct amount of water at the right temp?

Before you boil, check your SG. Check it again after the boil and make sure the correct volume is in the boiler. You may have too much water if extra sparge water is used.

Everything has to be done accurately for accurate results. Keep looking and you will find out what it is.

grain crush good enough?

have you tried an iodine/iodiphor test after 45 mins to be certain you're getting full conversion?? ( realize this isn't the most accurate way to test it, but if its glaringly black instead of clear, you know conversion is poor...)

maybe its old grain? maybe its your water? triple check your thermometer calibration...
hell I'd check your hydro a few times too, and make sure it has no hairline cracks anywhere.

Another thing to consider is your water chemistry. Have you checked your local water profile. It can have a considerable impact on conversion if the mash pH is way off. Adding some 5.2 pH buffer may make a huge difference.

I had same problem so time ago. Found out that I need to stir my mash every 20 minutes do to cooler has cold spots. The outside will be 150 or so but the bulk of the center would drop to 130 or so. Started stiring every 15 to 20 min and problem went away.

Back