Greetings from West Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jevchance

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is John and I live in Sparta, MI (just north of Grand Rapids). I have been making wine for a few years now (mostly fruit wines) and am expanding into beer and meads/melomel. Also, I hope to specialize in hard ciders.

I'm a web developer by day and wine-o by night. I'm also into Mustangs.

I found this site through a Google search and there seems to be a lot of really talented brewers. I hope to learn a lot and add something to the conversations that I take part in.

Looking forward to engaging with you all!

Welcome!

If you are interested in hard cider let me be the first to point you towards Ed's Apfelwein. It is something of a legend around here and... well I'll let you read and decide for yourself.

Also, if you need more convincing check out how many batches have been made!

Glad to have you with us and keep us up-to-date with your projects.

-Karl

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I can't believe how simple that Apfelwein recipe is. I now have a project for this weekend. :)

I read quite a few posts this afternoon, and I'm now extremely thirsty!

Greetings from Reed City!

West Michigan is fairly active in brewing, and you have a great Homebrew supply shop at Siciliano's Market. I'm sure you are familiar.

Good luck and Hope to see you around here!

Yes I know Siciliano's well. I also will stop by Cascade Winery (better for winemaking) and Pauly's in Lowell.

I'm also not ashamed to admit that I'm addicted to some Founder's brews. :)

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.

Well I got some Apfelwein going this weekend. Although I refuse to call it by its German name, and instead I'm calling it apple hooch. :)

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.

Well I got some Apfelwein going this weekend. Although I refuse to call it by its German name, and instead I'm calling it apple hooch. :)

You should look into the Prime Time Brewers. We are a homebrew club in Gr and meet the 3rd Thursday of every month. We have a meeting this week. You may also be interested to know that one of our members is 4 time cider maker of the year at nationals.

You should look into the Prime Time Brewers. We are a homebrew club in Gr and meet the 3rd Thursday of every month. We have a meeting this week. You may also be interested to know that one of our members is 4 time cider maker of the year at nationals.

OOOH! I'd love to pick his brain. :)

Would you please pm me some information? Location, time, etc.? Thanks.

if your open on saturday this week fsr402 is hosting a brewing session at his place in jenison. pm him for details and address.

OOOH! I'd love to pick his brain. :)

Would you please pm me some information? Location, time, etc.? Thanks.

OUR WEBSITE
OUR SMALL CLUB FORUM

Definitely interested. How exactly does a brew day work?

Well basically I am hosting a brew day at my house. Who ever wants to come is welcome and can PM me for directions.
If you are a brewer you can bring your gear and brew beer with us, if not you can just come and hangout for the day and learn.
You will see different ways of doing the same thing. From Eric with his coffee pot HLT all the way up to my35 gallon rig. It all gets the job done.

bring some beer or wine or what ever to share/show off and enjoy the day.
I'm thinking of grilling a pork brisket for lunch.

I was in Sparta last week checking out the new Brewery. Nice place, tried the dry hopped IPA. Very nice. Cheers:mug:

Dan's place is nice, his IPA's and dark beers are great. Hate to say this (he's a friend ) but stay away from the light beers for now. The water out there is not good for the light stuff. He's working on getting a large RO system setup so he can build his own water for those.
The cider is great too.

OUR WEBSITE
OUR SMALL CLUB FORUM

Well basically I am hosting a brew day at my house. Who ever wants to come is welcome and can PM me for directions.
If you are a brewer you can bring your gear and brew beer with us, if not you can just come and hangout for the day and learn.
You will see different ways of doing the same thing. From Eric with his coffee pot HLT all the way up to my35 gallon rig. It all gets the job done.

bring some beer or wine or what ever to share/show off and enjoy the day.
I'm thinking of grilling a pork brisket for lunch.

Oh, sure, host a "Stealth" brew day why don't you! How come I never heard of this? It was probably more fun than Suds on the Shore! Better Food, Better Beer... (Ok, the music at SOTS was pretty good. The first guy anyway...)

Yes I know Siciliano's well. I also will stop by Cascade Winery (better for winemaking) and Pauly's in Lowell.

I'm also not ashamed to admit that I'm addicted to some Founder's brews. :)

No need for anyone to be ashamed to be a founders fan. You should see some of the trades I get out of sending Founders to the West Coast. Founders is definitely a world class beer.

<------- In Muskegon.

No need for anyone to be ashamed to be a founders fan. You should see some of the trades I get out of sending Founders to the West Coast. Founders is definitely a world class beer.

<------- In Muskegon.

Sicialanos still rocks. It's the place I go when I need supplies. Founders used to be cool but now it's a PITA to get a table. The wait staff changes over so frequently that no one knows your name anymore. A victim of success. Although I long for the "old day's" at Founders I now enjoy searching for the new breweries. If anyone in Michigan has a place to recommend I'll check it out. Thanks.........And to the above poster.... if Dan's place is the Beer Cellar in Sparta..... I enjoyed the heck out of that Dry Hopped IPA!!

Oh, sure, host a "Stealth" brew day why don't you! How come I never heard of this? It was probably more fun than Suds on the Shore! Better Food, Better Beer... (Ok, the music at SOTS was pretty good. The first guy anyway...)

Homer, Troy posted that over a year ago on 08-17-2009, lol

My bad. I was checking out Troy's postings to see if he is still around (haven't seen him in a while) and there was a new post in the thread. I never looked at the dates!

I guess I'll mark this one down as as FUBAR!

So, anyway... Did you guys hear that Henry Hill is hosting another brewday on Sept 18th? I'm sure everyone will be hoping you guys can make it.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to see if I can get my other foot in my mouth.

Sicialanos still rocks. It's the place I go when I need supplies. Founders used to be cool but now it's a PITA to get a table. The wait staff changes over so frequently that no one knows your name anymore. A victim of success. Although I long for the "old day's" at Founders I now enjoy searching for the new breweries. If anyone in Michigan has a place to recommend I'll check it out. Thanks.........And to the above poster.... if Dan's place is the Beer Cellar in Sparta..... I enjoyed the heck out of that Dry Hopped IPA!!

If you haven't been to Shorts in Bellaire you need to check it out. Awesome non bottled tap list, excellent food and a great atmosphere. And if your out that way, you need to hit up Right Brain in Traverse City.Lots of experimental type ingredients and just awesome brew overall. Also Since your now in Traverse City, go to Jolly Pumpkins "INN" on old Mission Peninsula. Beer is more geared towards their Northpeak counterpart but they did have 2 sours on tap. Best part is the Kobe Beef Burger and Truffle oil Fries for $12.

I was at the Mission in July with the in-laws. The place was PACKED. We had t wait forever for a table and barely had time for a beer before we had to hit the road for our other reservations. I didn't have a chance to pick up any of the pumpkin bottles to take with me. If anyone has access and would be willing to ship some Bam Biere, Bam Noir, or anything else in their line up, I have a variety of East coast beers to trade...

I was at the Mission in July with the in-laws. The place was PACKED. We had t wait forever for a table and barely had time for a beer before we had to hit the road for our other reservations. I didn't have a chance to pick up any of the pumpkin bottles to take with me. If anyone has access and would be willing to ship some Bam Biere, Bam Noir, or anything else in their line up, I have a variety of East coast beers to trade...

I will keep you in mind if I see any. I really love their Madrugada Stout. Its what got me started on Sours.

If you haven't been to Shorts in Bellaire you need to check it out. Awesome non bottled tap list, excellent food and a great atmosphere. And if your out that way, you need to hit up Right Brain in Traverse City.Lots of experimental type ingredients and just awesome brew overall. Also Since your now in Traverse City, go to Jolly Pumpkins "INN" on old Mission Peninsula. Beer is more geared towards their Northpeak counterpart but they did have 2 sours on tap. Best part is the Kobe Beef Burger and Truffle oil Fries for $12.

I was at Right Brain Saturday (2nd visit), Shorts on Sunday(3rd visit), I didn't make it to Jolly Pumpkin I wanted to... but since I started Saturday morning at Odd Side Ale, went to Ludington for the Suds on Shore, Stopped at Jamesport for a late lunch. Then on to Right Brain, Hit North Peak up for dinner....... LOL what a day.:tank:

North Peaks Cherry Porter BBQ sauce is off the chain. I was also just in Oddside Last night. The Hazelnut stout was good.
I can't imagine hitting up all those places in one day. Never been to Jamesport.... Worth a try? Its only an hour for me.

Back