Greetings from Utah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davecu

Reaction score
Once again I'm brewing. I started 37 years ago with Blue Ribbon hopped extract, white sugar, and dry yeast. Needless to say the beers weren't very good so I didn't take it up again until 18 years ago when I decided to make good homebrew. Since then I've made over 80 brews, about half extract and half all-grain.

Last month after a break of 10 years I jumped back in to brewing with my son and am working to perfect my extract brews. With late malt additions and attention to detail the brews are coming out pretty good. Today it's back to all-grain with our 8th brew, a BIAB corn ale.

For my late addition extracts I'm boiling 4 gallons of water with 1 lb of DME usually for 30 minutes. At 10 minutes to flame off I add the remainder of the DME. I use Beersmith software to calculate the IBUs as the hop utilization is quite good.

I'm brewing my experimental "Gringo Chicha" right now. For 1.75 gallons it uses:

4 lbs Flaked Maize mashed at 158 deg F with 2.5 tsp of Amylase
Boil 60 minutes with 0.33 oz Cluster hops for 12 IBU
White Labs WL040 Mexican Lager yeast

It differs from genuine Chicha where the corn is mashed by malting or by chewing. And it is fermented for 3 days with wild yeast, no hops and it's consumed while still fermenting. I'm taking a Gringo approach with the flaked maize, amylase and hops.

Back