Greetings from Portland! Corn wine's a brewin'!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorbuffalo

Reaction score
Hi folks, long-time reader, first-time poster!

My occasion for joining is starting a batch of corn wine yesterday using those wonderful Chinese yeast balls. I've been making both red and white rice wine for about a year, and I've been thinking for a while about using the koji mold on some other starch sources. I picked up some dried corn for making masa from the Mexican grocery store, along with some cal to Nixtamalize it.

Nixtamalization partially dissolves the seed covering and frees up B vitamins, which I figured the yeast would appreciate. Lucky Peach magazine has a good article about the masa-making process in their street food issue. LPM's also where I learned about fast, cheap, delicious rice wine!

After Nixtamalization was done (an overnight soak in hot mineralized water), I put the corn in the crock pot to cook for a few hours, cooled it, and pitched a ground yeast ball. This morning I've already got about a quarter-inch of clear syrup collecting in each of my one-gallon fermenting jars. Smells like tortillas. Should have an update on the flavor in about a week. After that, maybe plantains or sweet potatoes for the next starch experiment!

Happy brewing, everybody!

Back