Greetings from Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twelveone

Reaction score
Hey!!

I joined this site because I've been told that its the absolute best place to soak up some homebrewing knowledge. I really want to start up and I've been reading all sorts of information the last few months. A couple friends of mine have highly recommended all grain brewing. I have just been trying to figure out if I should buy a starter kit from midwest supplies or northern brewer or just go to a local store and get everything separately. My other question involves how to read a recipe. I am unsure of a couple of the terms used in this picture. If anyone could please explain the notes, fermentables and hops sections to me it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

-Tony

Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 12.23.32 PM.png

Hi Tony and welcome from another Chicagoan. If your friends are willing to brew with you, then starting with all-grain makes sense to me, if they're willing to teach you. If not, I'd go with an extract batch - you'll still have plenty to learn but it will just be a little easier and you can make outstanding, award-winning beers with extract.

Are you in the city? Have you heard of CHAOS brewclub? We have our own brewhouse that we built out and maintain and its a great place to learn how to brew, with other brewers who will help you.

However you decide to proceed, welcome to HBT and a fun hobby!

Back