Greetings from Alaska

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did some homebrewing back in when I lived in NC, but after I moved to Alaska I pretty much stopped...until recently. The Redhead and I brewed our first batch last weekend. It was an ESB, and we had some problems, but it is bubbling nicely in the fermentor.

One big problem, we only made four and half, vs. five gallons. (Not quite sure how that happened.) I wonder what the fallout from that will be.

Welcome aboard! I'm not sure making 4.5 instead of 5 gallons indicates any sort of problem....perhaps boiled off a bit too much? I doubt it's a sign of a problem, though, except 1/2 gallon less beer in the end....now that IS a problem :)

One of the issues with living up here is that almost none of the homebrew supply companies will ship to Alaska. I am not sure why, because we ARE a part of the US and the USPS, but there you are. I end up having to use what we have in town.

Glad to see another local around - welcome to the forum!

I have been pleased with the product and service I've gotten from Northern Brewer, however paying more for shipping than the products is annoying. There are some places in Palmer and Anchorage that I'm going to pick up some grains to have on hand. Gavoras and Goldhill are hit and miss on what they have available in stock.

Arctic-Stranger said:
One of the issues with living up here is that almost none of the homebrew supply companies will ship to Alaska. I am not sure why, because we ARE a part of the US and the USPS, but there you are. I end up having to use what we have in town.

Back