Green Tea IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalhomebrewer

Reaction score
I have been wanting to try my hand at the Stone green tea IPA. Has anyone tried to make this? Any success? Or make any type of green tea beer. I saw the video and it said that it was added as a dry hop, but don't know what amounts I should use. Right now I am looking at

11.5lb light LME
1lb crystal 60

For the base, I am going to work on the hops based on the video and sipping the bottle, but any help, suggestions, recipe thoughts etc would be great!

I would start here:

http://blog.stonebrew.com/?p=2461

and also this is good info:

Update: “When our old friends Toshi Ishii and Bryan Baird approached us about brewing something special for Japan relief efforts, we of course jumped at the opportunity. We created this very special IPA, brewed with 100% Maris Otter Malt and Belgian Candi Sugar. Once we decided to tie it all together with the addition of Japanese Sencha Green Tea in a dry-hop, the rest of the recipe came together easily. We included hops that we believe would blend well with the tea flavors, and we went non-traditional, at least in the sense of American IPAs. After bittering with Warrior hops, we used Crystal and New Zealand Pacifica for flavor. And then for the first dry hop, we again used Crystal and Pacifica, and added a brand new hop variety, Aramis, from the Alsace region of France. Then we went all Japanese for the 2nd dry-hop, with Sorachi Ace whole lead hops and the Sencha Tea. It’s always fun to use new ingredients and new hop varieties and for that, I say to Toshi and Bryan: ‘Domo Arigato!’”

I usually use 4 bags of green tea for a 1/2 gallon batch of my green ice tea. So I would use 20 bags of green tea for 5 gal batch of beer. The question is, how do you plan to adjust your IBUs for the bitterness from the tea?

Is there a malt version of Maris otter? And thank you for the run down that you posted. As for the hops, I have a 6 pack left over from the collaboration that I was going to make an educated guess based on the video and article while drinking one. The give the hops, just no amounts. For tea leaves, I will be getting the one style they use, Sencha I believe, no tea bags. And it will be dry hopped like stone stated, do I don't think it will impart as much bitterness as there would be with brewing it hot. I guess I can email stone and ask, just want to goto then with something and get a critique, then goto then with very little and possibly get no response.

I was planning to make this beer as one of my future brews, my recipe was something along these lines:

O.G. 1.093
71.1 IBUs

18# Maris Otter
1# light belgian candi sugar

2 oz Warrior 60 min
2 oz Crystal 15 min
2 oz Hallertau 15 min
3 oz Crystal 10 min
2 oz Hallertau 5 min

dry hop 1
1 oz Crystal
1 oz Hallertau
1 oz something to sub for Aramis

keg dry hop
2 oz whole leaf Sorachi Ace
4-8 oz Sencha Green tea

Buying green tea in bulk here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040WG1G6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I e-mailed Mitch at stone and he was nice enough to e-mail this back:
The Green Tea was added as a dry-hop- 1 pound/31 gallons of beer.
The recipe was 100% British Maris Otter Pale Malt.
We used Warrior hop for bittering, Pacifica (from New Zealand) and Crystal hops for flavor.
We did one dry hop with Crystal, Pacifica and a new hop variety called Aramis (Strisselpalt or Hallertau are good substitutes for Aramis).
Then we did a 2nd dry-hop with the tea and a small amount of Sorachi Ace hops.

Hope that helps a bit,
Cheers,
Mitch

Mitch Steele
Brewmaster
Stone Brewing Co.

With that info I put together a recipe. I remember thinking to myself "hmm those are all noble hops and yet this beer tasted very much like a citrusy american IPA". Well anyhow I used all of those hops listed except for Aramis that I could not find at the time. The only difference was I added like 4 ounces of sencha at flameout and used honey instead of the candi syrup. Just as I thought mine was completely different. I got more of a noble hop character and mine tasted and smelled of green tea a lot. I did not taste green tea at all in the stone version. I will post the recipe I used when I get home.

Did you ever make this recipe? If so do you remember how it turned out?

+1 for a recipe suggestion for this one. I think I'm going to make this my next brew. If not an attempted recipe, does anyone have any stats on this so I could try to craft one in beersmith? All I have is 10.1%ABV and 75IBUs.

This is what I came up with in Beer Smith may try it out in a few weeks. Not sure about the dry hopping time, suggestions would be nice. Also I don't think I will be able to get Aramis hops so subbing Palisade.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.95 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.093 SG
Estimated Color: 6.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 78.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 93.8 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 2 6.2 %
1.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 3 71.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 4 3.1 IBUs
1.50 oz Helga [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 4.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35 Yeast 6 -
1.00 oz Palisade [7.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Helga [5.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
4.00 oz Sencha Green Tea (Secondary 3.0 days) Herb 10 -
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

I have started working on a recipe to make this as well, just haven't gotten it to the point of actually trying to brew it yet. Going to bounce mine off of the ones on here for ideas.

Latest posts

Back