Green Tea beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kaips1; did you add the tea after or before fermentation? Would you recommend just adding it all after fermentation (that is my current plan)?

I added the cold steep in secondary and then added a recharge from the same leaves at bottling

Two Brothers in Warrenville, IL has a Green Tea IPA. It's delicious. It's called Laughing Panda.

laughing-panda.jpg

You wouldn't believe it, but you can definitely pick up the subtle green tea notes in it. It's delicious!

Anyone have any more information on this beer? I'd think the hop/tea flavor balance would be hard to nail in an IPA.

If you email the good people at Two Brothers Brewing, they'd probably give you some info. They're known to give recipes to homebrewers. I, myself, have gotten a recipe from them myself.

Hey everyone -

I posted about two years back about doing a green-tea beer using a warm wort and vodka-infusion and thought I'd post an update:

The beer turned out alright (fermented a bit too hot), but there was VERY little green-tea flavour to speak of. Almost none, in fact. Upon reflection, I think this is because green tea really does need to be heated (though not boiled) in order to get the full flavour out of it. As such, I think any vodka infusion and/or 'dry-hopping with tea' is going to leave people ultimately disappointed.

I also think the green-tea infusion also added some particles to the beer that affected its clarity (it was pretty muddy looking, compared to other cream ales brewed with the same recipe and yeast).

If I were to do it again, I think I would double the amount of green-tea, adding half (1.5oz) to the warm (180f) wort, and half (1.5 oz) to a warm (180f) water/DME mixture to make a green-tea-concentrate to be used for bottle/keg fermenting. I think that adding the extra 'kick' of green tea after primary fermentation was over would help bring out the flavour of the tea much more than it did when I used the vodka influsion.

Happy Hopping,

-Tyler

Hey everyone -

I posted about two years back about doing a green-tea beer using a warm wort and vodka-infusion and thought I'd post an update:

If I were to do it again, I think I would double the amount of green-tea, adding half (1.5oz) to the warm (180f) wort, and half (1.5 oz) to a warm (180f) water/DME mixture to make a green-tea-concentrate to be used for bottle/keg fermenting. I think that adding the extra 'kick' of green tea after primary fermentation was over would help bring out the flavour of the tea much more than it did when I used the vodka influsion.

Happy Hopping,

-Tyler

Too cool that you posted a 2 year update. Thank you!
I have a questions, Im new to home brewing (i've made 2 5gal kit recipes)
When you add the tea while the wort is cooling, (Ill be using tea bags) youd obviously take them out when it comes time to put in the primary, but with the use of a wort chiller, would you be concerned that you would be cutting the infusion/steeping time in half, and thus affecting the teas potency? Thanks!

Raymond

How about soaking/infusing some green tea in Midori for about 2 weeks. Maybe 2-4 ounces of green tea leaves in something like 16 oz. Midori, then pour the whole thing into secondary. I've never done this, just a thought. The Midori would make a nice honeydew green tea addition to a light beer.

Damn, now I wanna make green tea beer :tank:
Love the Midori addition. I'm gonna combine my 4oz green tea-vodka tincture with 4oz of Midori, and add it after first fermentation. Can wait to taste it!!

Hello, I am new to the forum and came across this thread from awhile back. Lots of useful information in here as I was curious about attempting something along the lines of a lemon grass green-tea pale ale and I found this product:

http://www.monin.com/en-gb/products/teas/monin-matcha-green-tea-syrup

After some quick searching it seems that the ingredients in the Monin syrups, from most present to least, are cane or beet sugar, natural and artificial flavors,and salt. I could not find the specific amount of sugar in the green tea syrup but managed to find some information stating that the syrups have between 20 and 28 grams of sugar per oz.

The recommended mix ratio to coffee type drinks is 1 oz per beverage, since that would most likely provide a reasonably strong green tea flavor,I was wondering if anyone could provide insight into the possibility of adding an entire bottle (750ml) into the carboy after high krausen. With a sugar content between 500g and 700g and with the ratios found in this thread, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=152813
this would add between 0.010 and 0.014 to the OG which could be accounted for when building a grain bill.

I guess in summary my question would be, what is the viability of using a commercial beverage green tea flavor syrup, and would the amount added provide slight green tea flavor or would it just thin the body out too much?

Thanks in advance,

Add

Latest posts

Back