Green olive mead??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Happy Mug

Reaction score
My girlfriend and her mother brewed a mead seven months ago. Right now, it has this green olive smell to it. They primaried in a plastic water bottle. The guy at the brewstore tried a bit, and said it just needs more time. Anybody had any similar experiences?

Meads often take a year or more. How long was it in the Primary? Those plastic water bottles (blue ones like ozarka etc) have too high of an oxygen permeability for long term storage. Hopefully it was in a glass (or other non o2 permiable media) for the bulk of the aging?

Also did they rack it off the lees every 2-3 months?

Happy Mug, you had me really scared there for a moment! I saw the title and thought it was a request for a recipe... :eek:

I can't really contribute to this topic, so I'll shut up just after I say that I hope the mead will be all right.

In my experience, mead can be at its yuckiest at 7 months. They don't seem to get really good until a year or better yet two or better yet...well, you get the idea.

I bet time will help sort things out...

Cheers! :D

Sadly, a plastic deep-rock water bottle was the original vessel. It was in there for a couple months before being transferred to a glass secondary. Right now it's in bottles.

Latest posts

Back