American IPA Green Dragon IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flounder443

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
White Labs 0051 California Ale V
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days to dry hop
Additional Fermentation
Tasting Notes
Bottled conditioned, needed about 6 weeks in bottle for flavors to settle out
I wanted to make a very citrus forward IPA. I took inspiration for the continuous hopping method from Yooper's Dogfish Head 60min Clone and added Lime Aid to primary as was done by SD-SLim in Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen. (Both amazing recipes)

Green Dragon IPA

7# Light DME
4# Pale 2-Row
1# Caramel 40L
0.50oz Lime Zest @ 5min

HOPS*
0.75oz Warrior @ 60
0.50oz Amarillo @ 50
0.25oz Sorachi @ 50
0.25oz Warriro @ 50
0.50oz Cascade @ 29
0.50oz Citra @ 29
0.50oz Citra @ 5
0.50 Cascade @ 5
0.25 Sorachi @ 5
Dry hop 0.50oz Amarillo and 0.50 Sorachi for 14 days

White Labs 0051 California Ale V

Ferment in primary for 7 days when the vigorous fermentation has stopped add 1 liter of Simply Lime-Aid to the wort. After seven days move to secondary and dry hop for 14 days. Remove hops and ferment until clear, I used gelatin to aid in clearing.

*Hop Schedule
Hops listed at 50 mins are all mixed together and are added little by little every minute from 50mins to 30 mins. Hops listed at 29mins are added all together and added little by little from 29mins-10mins.

This came out very good and hoppy. Admittedly it did not have as much of the citrus punch I was hoping for, but regardless an awesome brew. I do not yet have the ability to keg so I bottle condition. This was my third IPA and this one needed more time to condition in bottles. By about 6 weeks in bottle it was amazing. Before than it is still more than drinkable.

I imagine you could you pump up the fruitiness by keeping the yeast at the high end of it's recommended temperature as this is already a fruity yeast.

Flounder,

What's your thought process on the complicated hops schedule? Why so many different hops, especially for the early bittering additions?

Brew on :mug:

I wanted to make it extra bitter so that's why i had a large amount of high AA for buttering. Also I picked hops that are known for having strong citrus and fruity flavors and aroma.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I wanted to make it extra bitter so that's why i had a large amount of high AA for buttering. Also I picked hops that are known for having strong citrus and fruity flavors and aroma.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Why not just use more Warrior for bittering, and save the flavor hops for the later additions? I like the idea of strong citrus flavors. I'm a big fan of Amarillo, have limited exposure to Citra, and no exposure to Sorachi. I just bottled the first of a series of single hop brews that used Amarillo. Maybe I'll try Citra and Sorachi for the next two.

Let him do what he wants. There are plenty of beers out there that are continuously hopped to produce unique beersz

Let him do what he wants. There are plenty of beers out there that are continuously hopped to produce unique beersz

I don't want to discourage anyone from anything. I'm trying to learn more about recipe design, and what the thinking behind the process is. When I try something new, there is usually a thought out reason for it, and I assume many people are the same.

i found that that citra has more flavor then the warrior so i wanted the citra in later. sorachi is high AA with strong citrus tastes and really is an amazing hop for dry hopping my OG was 1.080 and my FG was 1.021. It left some nice sweetness in it. Also, these numbers aren't indicative of the ABV bc of the added lime aid in secondary which has additional fermentable sugars. I check my notes and seemed to have forgotten to write down the changes in gravity from that but as i recall i think it added about 1.5%

Back