Great Notion - Double Stack clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secretlevel

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY1318
Yeast Starter
1.5L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
In keg at room temp with maple
Without much of a starting point, I knew that this stout had to have maple syrup in it, coffee, and had to be 12%. My base imperial pastry stout was a great starting point.

Another thing I know is that Great Notion backsweeten this beer with real maple syrup. Andy Miller mentioned this in Craft Beer & Brewing podcast at ~13 minutes into the pod.

Grist

80.5% Maris Otter

5.0% Simpsons DRC

5.0% Crisp Pale Chocolate

2.5% Crisp Brown Malt

2.5% Honey Malt

2.5% Black Malt

2.0% Carafa III

Numbers

OG: 1.119 ~ 11.8% ABV

FG: 1.029

Wyeast 1318

Hops: EKG (30 IBU)

Water Chemistry: Ca 151; Mg 22; Na 43; Cl 200; SO4 90; pH 5.3

Fermentation and Maple Syrup
I keg my maple syrup beers, treat them with Campden and K-Sorbate, then add maple. Here's my process for adding maple syrup that's inspired by what the brewers mentioned on the pod. For this beer, I added 8oz of Grade B (aka Grade A Dark Robust) maple syrup during high krausen, and another 16oz after fermentation. I waited until the beer had hit its FG and then treated it with K-Sorbate and Campden tablet. 24 hours later, I added the 16oz. This is for 5 gallons.

For coffee - I cold steeped 5oz of whole medium-roast coffee beans in a cold keg for 48 hours.

Tasting and Side by Side

My version:
Coffee notes permeate on the initial taste, before being overwhelmed by chocolate notes and maple sweetness. The finish is unmistakably all maple syrup. Sweet (yet drinkable), sticky, breakfast stout!

Original Double Stack: As soon as you open the can, smell of maple is much more sticky and intense. Flavor is surprisingly roasty with much less caramel but much more roasty coffee. Overall, it's much less sweet, more roasty and much more in your face with maple.

double-stack-wide.jpg

Notes for next iteration
- Increase roasted malts to help balance the sweetness from the maple. Maybe 6-9% of the grist
- Maple flavors are ok on my beer, but I have to explore more syrups and micro-dose some Guinness pints to see which one I like best. Some maple syrups just taste like plain sugar in beer. I may also supplement the syrup with some extract next time to bring out that signature flavor.
- I actually heard back from James Dugan from Great Notion with some feedback on my recipe! He mentioned that they don't use any Crystal malts in Double Stack (so no DRC or Honey malt), but they do use Roasted barley and brown sugar in the boil.

I'm planning to rebrew this sooner than later, so I'll try to keep everyone posted as I do so.
For full details of this brew, check out the full blog: Great Notion - Double Stack clone.

Great post, and blog site! Please do share how much maple syrup and maple extract you go with for round two!

I plan on doing a 1 gallon batch of this in the next month or so (I really shouldn’t drink 5 gallons of this myself). I’ll post how it goes (if it goes)!

Great post, and blog site! Please do share how much maple syrup and maple extract you go with for round two!

I plan on doing a 1 gallon batch of this in the next month or so (I really shouldn’t drink 5 gallons of this myself). I’ll post how it goes (if it goes)!

Good question, this probably depends on the amount of roasted malts I'll go with for next time. I'm thinking about adding some Crisp Chocolate malt (7%) and increasing the Black Malt to 3%. With those amounts, I may still be ok adding 16oz of Maple syrup post-fermentation (for 5 gal). I would decrease that to 8oz if I was going with less roasted malts though.

Extracts:
Beannilla is good, but out of stock right now.
LorAnn Maple emulsion is something I'd like to sample in a pint, could be good. I just found out that they also have a Cream Cheese emulsion! Crazy.
Amoretti is another option, I love their Artisan Flavors for fruit, I wonder if their maple products are just as good.

A good overall guide for extracts is micro-dose a few drops of extract into a pint of Guinness or another base stout to see how you like the flavors, this also should help you gauge how much you need to use.

Fore maximum maple flavor and aroma you need to find the darkest grade you possibly can (order it online) and then boil it down. The more you condense it the more impact it will have. Not gonna be cheap but it will amp up your maple presence guaranteed.

Fore maximum maple flavor and aroma you need to find the darkest grade you possibly can (order it online) and then boil it down. The more you condense it the more impact it will have. Not gonna be cheap but it will amp up your maple presence guaranteed.

Any tips on boiling down/concentrating the syrup? Seems like it’d caramelize/burn pretty easy.

Will boiling really help? To concentrate the flavor or increase it. The really dark bark and sweet flavor I mean.

Any tips on boiling down/concentrating the syrup? Seems like it’d caramelize/burn pretty easy.

Slow and low.. Google how to make invert syrup. I’ve made invert no 3 easily without burning it.

We had three maple trees in my yard growing up in VT and made maple syrup for a few years. Lots of friends and family still do it for fun or to supplement their income. A lot of them save the really dark stuff for themselves. It’s very intense and absolutely delicious if you love that maple flavor.

Toppling Goliath boils syrup down over a fire to condense it and add a bit of smoke.

Last edited:
Slow and low.. Google how to make invert syrup. I’ve made invert no 3 easily without burning it.

We had three maple trees in my yard growing up in VT and made maple syrup for a few years. Lots of friends and family still do it for fun or to supplement their income. A lot of them save the really dark stuff for themselves. It’s very intense and absolutely delicious if you love that maple flavor.

Toppling Goliath boils syrup down over a fire to condense it and add a bit of smoke.

So I gave this a shot, but I went a little too hard. I tried to boil down 32oz of syrup into 16oz, but my syrup was pretty dark and thick already, so in the end I just solidified it :)

A tip for others trying this - don't try to condense it as much, maybe go for 10-20 min boil depending on the color and consistency of your syrup.

PXL_20210409_001609843.jpg

I’m brewing this right now as we speak. I got some “very dark and strong taste” syrup and I’m doing 6oz/gallon. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

I’m brewing this right now as we speak. I got some “very dark and strong taste” syrup and I’m doing 6oz/gallon. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Well here’s the result of my go at this recipe! The maple definitely didn’t come through anywhere near the levels of Double Stack. I read around and listened to all the podcasts I could find with GN and Andy Miller claims they only use syrup, no extract (I can’t remember where I heard this but I’ll find it and report back). It must be like at least a 1:1 ratio! I thought using the “very dark, very strong taste” syrup would help but it didn’t really.

Still and awesome stout! Velvety smooth and still gives off that nice taste of breakfast with the fresh coffee beans and hints of maple.

A4ABB310-75CA-407B-B57D-479B01EC548A.jpeg

Back