Great HOP pricing going on!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my order on Saturday 9-05-09 and didn't get my tracking number until Wednesday 9-09-09

Woo hoo!
Got my order in.
1 pound each of:
amarillo, cascade, centennial, & willamette
$37.50 (before shipping)

Where can I pick up one of those jar vacuums? That seems like the way to go.

Any guesses if the prices of the 2009 crop will go up from these?

I am guessing a little as they are just trying to blow these out to make room for the huge 2009 crop but hoping it is not a big increase.

Yup,

P1020538.JPG

Put a vacuum on them and freeze em...

How did you apply the vacuum to the jar lid????

I have a FoodSaver, it came with a wide mouth jar attachment.

1lb amarillo
1lb cascade
1 lb centennial
1lb columbus
1lb chinook
1lb magnum
1lb nugget

Time to make some big hoppy beers !

Pat

Anyone know if there's a way to rig the Renold's Vac cheapo-saver to work on these jars?

Very simple, use a Food Saver cap and just press the Reynolds sealer down over the hole. Can't tell how much of a vacuum it creates but it does work.

Not to hijack the thread, but -

Leaf vs. pellet? I've always used pellet, but do you get better taste, bitterness, etc. from leaf?

Which do people prefer?

woohoo! I will have cascade, Willamette, zues, millenium, summit and nugget coming to me for the price of shipping thanks to my Moms hookups in Yakima.

So now I have to put in an order for all the others :mug:

Not to hijack the thread, but -

Leaf vs. pellet? I've always used pellet, but do you get better taste, bitterness, etc. from leaf?

Which do people prefer?

Not specifically. Its really what suits your system. Whole takes up a lot more space. People who have more automated circulation systems tend to use whole so the pellets don't clog it up.

What the hell, I placed my order for 2 pounds on Saturday, 6 days ago, and it's still processing for some reason. Some of ya'll ordered after me and your hops are already there and mine haven't even shipped yet.

BrokenBrew, I prefer pellets just because whole plugs up my drain from the kettle. Actually, .5-1 ounce or so of whole, and the rest pellet, seems to make for the easiest draining of the kettle and the clearest wort to the fermenter. I really just depends on which you prefer using, I really haven't noticed flavor or aroma differences.

I ordered mine last night.

centennial 2
cascade 2
U.S. goldings 3
Chech SAAZ 2
Willamette 1
Hallertau 1
Chinook 1
Fuggle 2
Northern Brewer 1
Tettnanger 1

I had to grab a few pounds, wife is gonna love the stuffed freezer! :mug:

Amarillo Pellet Hops: 1 lb. $ 11.25
Cascade Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 8.75
Columbus Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 12.75
Centennial Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 10.75
Chinook Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 9.75

Woot... I'm about set for next year now. All I need is another pound of Simcoe leaf and I'm done.

1# Liberty
1# Magnum
1# Centennial
1# Columbus
1# Amarillo Leaf

Gotta re-do my inventory but I think I'm up to about 18# now. :D

They don't have Simcoe, and nobody seems to have Summit, but I just ordered 9# for less than $100!

3# Cascade, 3# Columbus, 1# Amarillo, 1# Galena, 1# Willamette

I already have about a half lb each of Centennial, Northern Brewer (GR), and Willamette, which were each heavy by at least 3 oz to begin with.
<3 hopsdirect.com

I already have 5 pounds in my freezer, so I just got a pound each of Magnum, US Goldings, and Willamette.

I got 6 lbs for $62.50 before shipping. A little bit of everything.

Item 01: 1 each HWIL1 Willamette Leaf Hops 1 lb. $ 7.50
Item 02: 1 each HAMA1 Amarillo Hop Leaf: 1 lbs. $ 12.00
Item 03: 1 each HNUG1 Nugget Leaf Hops 1 lb. $ 11.50
Item 04: 1 each HCAS1 Cascade Leaf Hops 1 lb. $ 9.50
Item 05: 1 each FUUSLF Fuggle (US) Leaf Hops: 1 lb. $ 10.50
Item 06: 1 each HHALGL1 Hallertau (GR) Leaf Hops: 1 lbs $ 11.50

They must have just ginormous quantities of hops in their storage. Just imagine it.

I ordered 3 pounds to add to my 4 lbs in my freezer. My wife will not be happy when she sees all the meat I have to put into the fridge to make room in the freezer. I ordered over the weekend and worried that when they came in on Tuesday they would not have sufficient quantities to fill my order.

how long will hops last in the freezer? seems like 4 lbs is a TON of hops for one brewer to have on hand. Are you guys brewing every day or do they last for 3 years?

Monday order - UPS notice today (Friday)

Vacuum packed and frozen they should last for a long time.

At the per pound price it is a lot cheaper than going to LHBS and buying by the ounce even if you wound up throwing some of it away at some point.

Last batch I did 10 gallon of Brutal Bitter used 1lb of Crystal hops - so they don't last as long as you think. A Pliny clone uses even more.

I regret using the "pay by Paypal" option. I ordered a couple of days ago and have not yet even received payment instructions! :(

What the hell though, at those prices I will suck up the inconvenience and vomit rainbows. :)

Well ****, I hope these hops are still good by the time I get them. Timeline...

Ordered 9/6
Order processed and shipped 9/11
Expected delivery date 9/17

So after not processing my order all week, the send it out on a Friday night, it hasn't even left WA yet, and will sit in that UPS warehouse all weekend. Then when they finally leave with my order on Monday, it still has to travel across the US for 3 days in the back of a truck. I hope I don't have two bags of cheese on Thursday when they finally arrive. Anyone else have issues, yall seem to be getting your orders in a timely fashion.

Ordered 9/6

So after not processing my order all week, the send it out on a Friday night, it hasn't even left WA yet, and will sit in that UPS warehouse all weekend. Then when they finally leave with my order on Monday, it still has to travel across the US for 3 days in the back of a truck. I hope I don't have two bags of cheese on Thursday when they finally arrive. Anyone else have issues, yall seem to be getting your orders in a timely fashion.

I ordered mine on Tuesday, and haven't gotten the ship confirmation yet. But I'm sure they are thoroughly slammed and doing the best they can. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Ordered 9/6

Mine have to go through Dallas before coming to Vacherie, LA. I ordered on Monday as well, but mine have not shipped yet. I am going to call on Monday to check on the status.

Thanks for this post. I had been on the fence whether or not to buy in bulk, but when I saw the new prices, the decision was easy. Now I have eight pounds of pellets coming my way and I ordered a pump-n-seal for mason jar storage. Next up is a barley crusher.

1lb Amarillo
2lb Cascade
1lb Chinook
1lb Fuggle
1lb Willamette
1lb Centennial
1 Hallertau

I ordered at 2:30pm on Tuesday 9/8 and called yesterday. She told me it would probably go out early next week.

Back